Re: Electric Showers

Better check your wiring. You need "beefier" wiring for a 10kW shower than for an 8.5kW one. If it is currently fused 30A it is not big enough.
-- Tony Collins

I thought about doing the samething a couple of years ago until an electrician friend put me in the picture. Firstly you will probably struggle to get spares if it breaks down. Secondly I don't think you will notice much differance in flow esspecially in winter when water is at it's coldest. Thirdly You may need a wire upgrade this will be very expensive offsetting the cost of your nice cheap Gainsborough. I hope this helps you .

Better still is a proper pumped shower. You can get a MIRA event for not a lot of money and forget all the grief with electric showers.
No way would I ever have one of those abominations in my house again!...
--
Tony Sayer

Gainsborough are crap

winter
decent

I _Knew_ someone would jump in and say that - I carefully stayed away from argument and owned up that an electric shower struggles in winter.
Can't you face up to the fact that there are different lifestyles, circumstances, hovels and the OP was not asking the question you answered.
Go and talk to IMM and stop shoing off
Mike R

All right I'll shove of if U like, dunno what shoing off is;-()..
Still stands though. If it were me and I did live in a hovel I'd put a proper HW system in and have my proper shower. Never seem to be able to wake up properly other wise...
anyway as you said 'nuff said||||||||
--
Tony Sayer

Sorry about the typo, it was "showing off"
MR
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring

I've had a Triton 9.5kW working fine for over a year. It managed in Winter too. You're just an old softy! Besides, don't those pumped things make a terribel noise?

As long as that!, the one we had burnt out its microswitches about once a month..

Softy moi?, nay lad just 'tha needs a good hosing down when 'tha comes opp from 't pit...
Noise?, what noise. Me?, why I was a roadie for Metalica before I went down pit!...
--
Tony Sayer

"Mike" wrote | I see a major DIY chain are offering 10.8 Kw showers for 69, I'm thinking | about buying one as a replacement for my 8.5Kw shower. My question is | two-fold, is there any noticeable difference in water flow rates between | 10.8Kw and 8.5Kw
Yes, it's about a 20-25% increase. More usefully, a 10.8kW will actually cope with cold incoming mains in winter. Still won't be spectacular flow, but at least it's a warm weedy shower rather than a tepid weedy shower.
| and how good a make is Gainsborough?
As good as you'd expect for something flogged off to a largely unwitting public for seventy quid.
I've had a Gainsborough and I've had a Mira, and I'd definately pay twice the price for a Mira. Or Triton.
However the requirement to upgrade the wiring is probably going to be the big stumbling block.
Owain
Do you mean you'd buy a Triton rather than a gainsborough, or a mira rather than both? When I got my Aqualung (or whatever 'ts called) back from Wickes and was installing it, the guts of it were branded Triton. Might be worth considering as IIRC wickes have an 8.5 KW one that's also quite cheap.

thinking
"L Reid" wrote | > I've had a Gainsborough and I've had a Mira, and I'd definately pay twice | > the price for a Mira. Or Triton. | Do you mean you'd buy a Triton rather than a gainsborough, or a mira rather | than both?
I think my descending order of preference would be
1. Mira ) but not a 2. Triton ) lot in it 3. Bucket of water heated on a calor gas ring 4. Gainsborough
Owain