Re: Electric pylons... are they noisy?

Page 2 of 2

Well there is a cottage a few miles from here that sits right underneath a twin 33 kV line. FWIW over 10 years three occupants there have died from various cancers...
--
Tony Sayer

Snip

Me I've worked in high voltage electronics all my life and believe the risks are "B.........T" as an example near where I used to live there was a campaign to stop a mobile phone mast because of the " danger" several hundred yards away was a major radar station pumping megawatts into the air for the last 50 years Problems ...NIL. The High Voltage pylons will suffer from, arcing over the ceramic isolators in the rain some "mains hum" can be heard occasionally. The wind may make more noise over the cables, and the pylons may interfere with TV /Radio reception.
THE Q
tony sayer wrote:

Cancer affects 1 in 4 people in their lifetime so it's not that against the odds. Not only that but if you're male then you're 95% certain to get prostate cancer before you reach the age of 100 (assuming you don't meet your maker for other reasons before that age, of course).

As I said elsewhere, the official line is that nothing has been proved. There are some reports out possibly from the National Radiological Protection Board that don't actually say there's no danger, but that there is no evidence to prove there's any danger from electromagnetic fields, which, of course isn't quite the same thing. There was also I think a Swedish report that came out about 10 or 12 years ago that said there was evidence to prove there was a danger. In the end, I guess you pays your money and takes your choice depending on your view point!

Well I can tell you that the effects of magnetic fields on developing embryos are well documented for one biological effect. TMS shows that magnetic fields can affect cognition as well. So we know magnetic fields affect biological systems, the question of course is one of field strength (and direction) allied with long term exposure.
My wife administered an epidemiology study which measured levels in homes and sought a correlation with cancers. I can't remember what the conclusions were, but I'll ask. It was of the 'did the electricity meter on the other side of the wall from the bed cause my kid's brain tumour?' type.
Personally, I wouldn't live underneath high tension lines, but then I earn enough so I don't have to.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

I came across one unusual case quite a few years ago, where a very highly strung woman was claiming to hear very load humming from the meter / the low voltage overheads in the street / an 11kv line a couple of fields away / a (defunct and de-ernergised) 132 kv circuit a couple of miles away. She'd been to Bristol (?) Uni to have her hearing checked, and had fans running in her bedroom all night to mask this alleged hum!
In the end we tracked it down to some extractor fans in an abbatoir about 1/4 mile away. Got them to turn off the fans whilst telling her that we were disconnecting her electricity supply - there was a reason to mislead her. When she said the noise had disappeared, we could tell her that her electricity hadn't been turned off, but the fans had. She had become totally convinced that the problem was an electrical hum, and we had to prove that it wasn't by leaving her leccy on unbeknowns to her.

Houses are cheap up in Scotlandshire aren't they
--
geoff

writes

Yup, with all that granite around Radon's the problem up there......
Andrew McKay wrote:

They only harm your family if they decide to go and climb them (or fly kite into them etc).
The only reasonably agreed theory behind power lines causing cancer is that they can cause a static charge in the air around them, this air then attracts potentially carcinogenic particles from vehicle exhausts etc which then "hang around" in the air near the lines rather than falling to the ground, meaning you are more likely to breathe them in.