Radiotor not functioning right ?

A process described here:

John Rumm

Indeed, and if you break H2O down into its component parts by electrolysis (i.e. galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals using the water as an electrolyte), you get...?

One test is to attempt to light the gas that you bleed. If it burns then you know you have a hydrogen mix that indicates lack of corrosion inhibitor.

Reply to
John Rumm

A number of ways...

There is a fair amount dissolved in the water you fill it with in the first place - it takes a few days for that to all come out of suspension usually after the system is filled.

Corrosion can manufacture gas as previously mentioned, and surprisingly small leaks in the system can allow air in.

Reply to
John Rumm

It shows.

Reply to
John Kenyon

Very helpful.

Reply to
James

As others have said, if corrosion occurs due to a lack of corrosion inhibitor, hydrogen is produced from the chemical reaction, and tends to collect in the top of a radiator. But, for the time being, just bleed it out and then, if necessary, re-pressurise the system using the filling loop. That might fix it, but if the air/hydrogen keeps coming back, you need to investigate further.

Have you worked out how to bleed it now? The bit you need to loosen is the bleed screw, which has a square head about 5mm across. If that's contained in a larger hex fitting, *don't* undo the whole thing - you'll have a flood!

Do you know whether there *is* any inhibitor in your system?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi Roger,

Appreciate the post.

Yip all done, very easy. Did all the radiator. The radiator in question is now working correctly. If the problem persists I'll get a professional to investigate it further.

There is no inhibitor on my system which I guess is my next port of call.

Thanks for all the help and info guys girls and everything inbetween that :-p

Reply to
James

In message , James writes

see Central Heating Protectors.

Reply to
Si

Slightly puzzled by your phrase "there is no inhibitor *on* my system". Inhibitor isn't a device attached to the system - it's a liquid mixed with the water circulating in your system to prevent corrosion from occurring. Do you *know* that none was put in when the system was commissioned?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Slightly muddled my response there.

I have no idea if any was added.

Reply to
James

If there is fresh water in the system it can take a few weeks and a few bleeding sessions before it won't need bleeding again.

Reply to
PM