Radio controlled clock question

Page 1 of 4
How do these Radio controlled clocks supposed to work? I today bought a cheap LCD rc alarm clock from Littlewoods but can't get the clock to automatically update to the correct time. The instructions say the clock updates itself at certain times of the day from the the signal via a transmitter in Rugby. There's also a manual "receive" button to start receiving the signal immediately if required (or as soon as the batteries are inserted). The "receive" indicator will flash for about 8 minutes but then goes out without updating the clock. I thought perhaps I may have bought a faulty clock so took it back and swapped it for another one but the same thing is happening. It's been about 3 hours now and still no correct time. Any ideas welcome?
The clock incorporates a radio receiver to receive the time signal, as you say, from Rugby on 16kHz, very low frequency.I believe it is continuous, it is not a 'pips' type time signal but a complex signal containing time info which the clock/radio de-codes.Make sure you are not using it in a shielded area where radio waves can be attenuated,re-check the instructions etc. More info on Rugby Radio just put the name into Google. Mark Atherton

I did wonder if perhaps I'm in an area where the signal's not getting through but I did try it during the 5 mile trip home in the car and still no update! Can't see that I'm doing anything wrong, Just press the receiving button to start a forced update. The instructions say the RCC symbol will flash for a maximum of 8 minutes and if signal is successful it will update the clock and the RCC symbol will become stationary - otherwise the RCC symbol will be off (which mine is after the maximum 8 minutes of trying). I will have a read up on the Rugby transmitter.

Being low frequency it won't have a problem going round corners because the signal bounces off the upper atmosphere, whereas with high frequency (FM, VHF, TV etc) you have to have line of sight.
They use low frequency to communicate with submarines on the other side of the world from Northwood in north London (the signal might go out from Rugby though - I don't know the details). A sub can receive signals at periscope depth, as happened in the Falklands when HMS Conqueror was told to take out Belgrano by Northwood (the instruction was issued from Downing Street).
Leastways, that's what was explained to me a few years back. So if I'm right then the submarine will always have an accurate clock.... :)

I've got one of those radio clocks sitting on my desk. Every so often the receiving signal flashes for a period of time when it updates itself. I don't have a problem with the clock being wrong.
Are you sure you haven't got it set to some other time zone? You need GMT in the UK.
PoP
On 17 Oct 2003, PoP wrote
-snip-

Are you sure it's been able to reset itself during the day, today?
As noted in my other posts, the NPL site says the Rugby transmitter is on annual maintenance from 6 to 20 October, with signal transmission probably out from 9 am to 9 pm. (There's an indicator on my clock that shows if the hourly update was successful, and if not how many hours it's been since the last update was made: that's now sitting at 8 hours missed, and since it's currently 17:30, it must have last updated at 8 am, in line with what the NPL site says.)
--
Cheers,
Harvey

1. They work on a LOW radio frequency 60KHz, you need a location with little radio interferance. Go find a Longwave radio, and make sure you can recive Radio 4 ok. Try the clock outside.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:20:27 +0100, PoP wrote:

Very Low Frequency, VLF, 16kHz.

The time standard, MSF, on 60kHz is the only signal transmitted from the BT site at Rugby now. I think most of the masts have or are about to be removed apart from the single MSF mast.
One of the 16kHz transmitter sites for subs etc was at Criggion, but that has been closed and the masts removed. Take a peek at http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/c/criggion_radio/index.shtml .
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Droitwich rather than Rugby?)
--
Tim Mitchell

Separate sites.
--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Rugby has never transmitted R4. It has always been for shipping and MoD work. Each of the big masts is mounted on a large ball bearing so that they can move in the wind. Some of them have a sort of lift arrangement up the middle. Its quite interesting to watch them in a thunderstorm, apparently they also produce roast beef and lamb in the surrounding fields. As a child, I lived about a mile from them.
--
Lawrence Milbourn
Nottingham, UK

Tim Mitchell

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:15:47 +0100, Tim Mitchell

R4 on 198kHz is from Droitwich. I believe that Daventry is medium wave......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Radio 4 from Daventry has a carrier wave on 198 Khz which is referenced to the national physical lab who in turn reference to God in order to provide an ultra stable frequency reference fore test equipment and the like.
Rugby wireless station transmits MSF on 16 Khz for time clocks etc. It has been down for maintenance recently which has caused some clocks some problems. It has a website something like www.npl.something or other...FWIW...
--
Tony Sayer

Droitwich. ;-)
--
*My dog can lick anyone

Well, North of Watford:=-))
--
Tony Sayer

60 kHz.
--
Andrew Gabriel

The management wish to apologize for the piss poor quality control on this posting due to the imbibing of a good bottle of Shiraz:-))''''
--
anon.....

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:57:34 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

And Burghhead and Westerglen, phase locked to Droitwich.

Nope just DAB now...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Some interesting history for the anoraks here:-))
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/daventry/index.asp
--
Tony Sayer

Lidl in Holland have recently been selling cheap clocks like this. They can be switched between receiving the Rugby signal and one that transmits European time from a transmitter located somewhere in Europe. Perhaps yours has this feature, and is set for continental time..
Eric