Pushfit and other plastic fittings

OK. So I know its not proper plumbing but it certainly seems easier for the novice plumber.

However, any opinions on their usefullness etc ?

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

If you can't do soldered joints then use copper pipe with "good quality" compression fittings. Plastic is good for threading through awkward places.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Do a search on UK D-I-Y, mate. Loads of threads on copper Vs Pushfit.

Reply to
StealthUK

They are very good. One gets the occasional fail during installation, as one does with copper, but these failures are more spectacular (and wet) as the whole joint goes rather than just seeping.

But long term I believe they are better. The copper piping in the house we are renovating was seeping or about to go in various places as the copper had simply dissolved away due to pH and nitrate levels. Plastic solves this problem.

But above all the flexibility of the plastic pipe is so good that even if you don't trust the push-fit connectors I'd still say use the pipe but with brass compression fittings.

Reply to
Mike

The plumber I called in some months ago was in favour of them. There isn't the fire risk involved in making soldered connections, so it keeps the insurers happy.

Reply to
quisquiliae

I'd second that. the only thing I avoid a hidden pushfit join if I can but look at most new builds they seem to be all Hep2o these days.

Reply to
Old Bill

Handy some times, and the seem reliable. No use for gas mind you.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, two out of two central professionally installed heating systems, using plastic,( I don't think IMM was involved!) that I was hearing about on Saturday which were simply resiting of two existing radiators (one in each house) failed within 18 months, one totally, the other weeping at a connector! Anglian picked up the tab, to their credit. The choice is yours!!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

They are the preferred choice for all out of site work, professional and diy'ers alike.

Reply to
.

Yeh. Probably more of a fire risk if I had to do it as well !!!

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

One thing I have noticed are that the plastic corners, t-pieces etc are 'chunkier' than the corresponding soldered copper joint to it gets a bit awkward in tight spaces (like under the kitchen sink).

Reply to
BertieBigBollox