Compression Fittings - Can you use Metal on Plastic & other questions

I looked up my original question on the net and the below info was the best answer I could find:

From JGSPEEDFIT.Com Not all compression fittings are suitable for connection to plastic pipe. Compression fittings with a short pipe stop depth or hard olives should not be used with plastic pipe.

Use a ?TSM? Insert described in answer 1. This will enable the pipe to withstand the compressive pressure of the olive. Push the pipe with the insert up to the pipe stop within the fitting. The olive must be located along the length of pipe supported by the pipe insert. Hand tighten the compression nut then tighten the nut with a spanner approx one more turn. Softer copper olives are preferable to brass olives. _______________________________________________________

So, it doesn't say you have to use Plastic Compression fittings on plastic pipe just "...softer copper olives.." So, does anyone have any experience with using meta on plastic pipe? I have no idea if the "Olives" I have are either HARD or have a "short pipe stop depth." The article only states that copper is PREFERABLE to brass. Also, can you reuse the TSM Insert? No doubt they are only a buck or so for a couple but I have a leak right now in my plastic pipe and all I have are brass? olives and a used TSM. Also, is their any kind of prep work I need to do to the pipe prior to making the joining?

My problem is the pipe providing water to my icemaker developed a small pin leak - well, big enough to make a mess. I cannot belive they just happen but apparently I can't blame this on my kids. Tracing the plastic pipe to the source I found there is no way to turn the water off - this was pretty much a given considering my luck. IS THERE A VALVE I CAN INSTALL TO TURN IT OFF? I'm not sure if they have them this small but it would be nice to be able to turn off just this water rather then the house supply. I crimped the plastic pipe with a pair of pliers just behind the leak rather then cut of the main water supply. Seems to be working. But I wanted to see if I could fix this tonight rather then waiting.

If I do go to the store, do I get a METAL TSM INSERT ( that is what is there now ) or do I use a plastic insert - if they make them.

BUT, My bigger concern is that I'll do some kind of haphazrd job that will find me coming home one day to a foot of water in my home. This seems like it could happen at any time with that plastic pipe but I don't want it to be my fault.

Thanks BMiller.

Reply to
Bewett Miller

If I were you, I would replace the plastic with copper pipe.

I worked at a place that had thousands of compression fittings. Often many were used with the plastic pipe without any problems for a few years, but often they would leak or break at some point in time. Many times it was just the plastic pipe that broke , sometimes not even at the fitting.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What kind of "plastic pipe" are you using, and for what? On nylon lines, copper olives and brass inserts are used on half inch and 3/8 inch, and 1/8" used for oil pressure guages etc just use copper olives because the wall thickness is quite heavy.

Reply to
clare

What question? Would you write a paper or report without putting the topic in the body of the paper?

Polyethylene tubing is no good, even though tit comes with various devices. The tube to my furnace mounted humidifer, in a place where it was 80 degrees or less and installed without bending, sprang a leak after only 3 years and sprayed water all over the area. And a friend's tube to her fridge sprang a leak and poured water into her basement. Fortunately she was down there soon after and noticed it, but some people don't go into the basement for a week at a time.

Get copper.

Reply to
micky