Plumbing - drain valve?

I think thats what it is. Looks a bit like a tap connector with the tap taken off.

Whats this used for?

I'm currently doing some work under the kitchen sink and it seems the only way is to cut further back on the pipe thus losing this valve. Is this a bad idea ??

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

For draining the contents of your pipework into a convenient receptacle.

I'm guessing that your main stopcock is just below this drain c*ck, am I right? AFAIK it's a now waterboard regulation that a drain c*ck is fitted above the stopcock, so I guess apart from anything else you'd be breaking a bye-law by removing it. Why do you want to, anyway?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Its on the hot supply to the kitchen sink...

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

How does the valve work? Just stick a hose on the end and turn the thing with a spanner ?

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

On 22 Feb 2005 02:30:43 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" strung together this:

Pretty much, yes. Though most dribble a bit, or piss out everywhere so a towel and\or jubilee clip could come in handy.

I'd be inclined to leave it in, the idea is that they're installed on the low points of pipework so you can drain the water out before cutting it. Whether you think you might need to cut the pipe or not it's a good idea as anyone following you in there will want one, if you don't fit one then you shouldn't be touching the piework as you don't know how to do a proper job.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes, that's just how it works. Do remember to close it before you refill the system!

Reply to
tetrathlon