Protecting Danish Oil

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it? If not, is there an alternative?

Reply to
Griffo

I just used lots of coats of Danish Oil, just keep going till no more will soak in. The floor has been down about 2 years now and it is the most heavily used floor in the house. It has got a few dents and scratches but not as many as I expected and the advantage of Danish Oil is that I just rub a rag dipped in Danish Oil over the scratches and they disappear.

Reply to
Simon

Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

Reply to
Griffo

I think it was about 6 coats. I thinned the Danish Oil down with white spirit for the first two or three and they soaked straight in. The last few coats went on neat and you could tell by the last one that no more was going to soak in.

Reply to
Simon

Danish oil protects itself I thought. Thats the whole idea. You could add carpets and rugs I suppose. BTW I've just been to Japan and they protect floors by having a complete ban on outdoor shoes - with a stash of various slippers, flip flops etc available inside the front door for visitors - and a second set in the bog for use therein only. Sounds fussy but they have lovely wooden floors and rush/straw tatami mats which stay unmarked.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Danish oil is protection. It dries eventually and forms a film

Reply to
Stuart Noble

================= How slippy is it? Safe for older unsteady legs?

Cic.