Kitchen flooring and heating

We'll be getting an extension to our house soon. This will create a new L shaped kitchen area of about 35 - 40 square metres. Most of it will be suspended (we were told this was cheaper than solid, which appealed), but there will be an area of solid floor from the existing kitchen.

We had a quote for Karndean vinly tiles which we already have and it came in at well over two grand. I just can't bring myself to pay that. A visit to Topps Tiles and we learned we could do it for as little as about =A3300 (plus fitting). However, the one thing that puts us off ceramic and stone is the cold. But they had on dem there an electric underfloor system by Warmup. Despite the cost (probably about =A31000 - =A31500) it appealed, as the total job would still come in less than Karndean, we'd have toasty warm floor and, we are led to believe, no nead for further heating.

Can anyone offer any opinion or advice on this approach to both flooring and heating? Would be much appreciated.

Reply to
keiron99

You could get a cable kit to do this for about 550 quid including VAT. (FHC3600 on the link below).

would cost an absolute bomb to run as the main heating. However, if you set the floor temp low, (i.e. 21C) and use your central heating to heat the actual room, it should take the edge off the running cost.

Better would be a wet underfloor system for this size of room. It could be the primary heat source and efficient to operate. Running this in the new suspended floor would be easy. The old concrete, however, would be problematic. It would need insulation and channels for the pipes. Probably easier to remove the old floor and make it suspended with the rest of the room.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Depends on your lifestyle. If you use the kitchen as a working dining kitchen

- oven, washer, dishwasher or the like and sit down to eat with the whole family then I'd say probably OK. If your idea of preparing food is putting a purchased pre-prepared meal in a microwave and eating elsewhere I'd say the room would be too cold - but then it wouldn't matter as you'd never be there! ;-)

No experience with fitting/maintaining u'f heating (though they're great to live with!) but I'd worry about if it goes wrong ...

Reply to
John Cartmell

Make sure you really, really like underfloor heating before you install it. Some people (me included) hate it. You don't want to have to live with something you dislike, or dig it up.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The only experience I have of it is my sister's conservatory, which I loved. Maybe it's just the novelty? And maybe I'm imagining that stone/ceramic floors are colder than they really are? Browsing the manufacturers' websites, they don't seem to be too keen to come forward with what the cost of running these systems is. Which makes me suspicious...

Reply to
keiron99

It can be worked out by the wattage of the system and doing a heat loss calculation on the room, just like any other form of heating. They can't do this for you, as it depends on how much insulation you have.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words: