Printer reset gizmo - what does it do?

I see this gizmo is good for telling epson printers the colour carts are full.

wondered how they work? Are they like RFID technology? Maybe a big magnet would do the same?

Reply to
dave

Just wondered how they work?

there are embedded chips inside epson ink cartridges which record the age and usage of them and tell the printer when it's time epson had some more of your money (whether or not the ink has actually run out)

No and No.

Reply to
Andy Burns

download it, thanks, ssclg.com scared me a bit at first, a bunch of russian hackers sets virus/trojan alarm bells ringing in my brane but googling ssclg.com found lots of positives and no scare stories so i may give it a go, thanks..

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Be careful on that site and keep your virus protection upto date.

I've known about that site for a fair while and downloaded the program about a year or so ago - but when I went to look for updates for an Epson D88 (back a fortnight ago), my anti-virus picked up a trojan lurking in there.

BRG

Reply to
BRG

I threw my Epson printer out of my study window (*). It flew about as well as it printed. And as for the unspeakably crap "EasyPrint" software, whoever write that should be strangled with their own intestines.

(* No, I'm not joking.)

Reply to
Huge

Was that an attempt at poetry, or somrthing? Don't give up the day job.

MBQ

PS learn to post properly

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I downloaded the file and then uploaded it to

and it came back with 3 interesting results

Panda 9.0.0.4 2008.03.06 Suspicious file Prevx1 V2 2008.03.06 Heuristic: Suspicious Self Modifying File Sophos 4.27.0 2008.03.06 Sus/ComPack-C

Anyone know if that is cause for concern?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Huge,

I've used Epson printers since I bought my first computer way back in the late nineties and have seldom had a problem with the printing - and then it's only been with the D88 and Photoplus 10 on certain photo-papers (and I've still got the Epson 600 and 760 still running - albeit a little battered)

The only major beef I've ever had is with the cost of the genuine inks as that's all I use - apart from the 760 on the wife's computer which is quite successfully using compatibles - or at least she hasn't complained them yet! :-)

As a matter of interest, I manage to get good economy from my inks by using 'Inksaver' when printing letters and drafts (not with photos) and this seems to have cut my inks bill by over half.

BRG

Reply to
BRG

Simple, grab an old pc, wipe it, plug in the printer and install drivers, download the program off that site, write to a flash or cd, and execute on the old pc only :) If it farks the pc up, no biggie...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

In message , Alex Threlfall writes

better still, make a bootable Windows CD

Reply to
geoff

Get an old PC and wipe it just to test out a program?? I thought it was no biggie ;o)

My Mrs would string me up if I brought home any more old PC's. The dining room at had 8 and 5 monitors in it at one point. I'm now down to none and have been warned to keep it that way.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Obviously that should read I had 8 PC's and 5 monitors in it at one point.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Why didn't you beg, borrow or steal a KVM switch?

Reply to
1501

It was mostly folk getting rid of their setup and rather than skip it they gave them to me to play with.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Thought that was your electrolux vac, or was that crucified upside down on the village green?

Second thoughts, burnt at the stake wasn't it?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Yep. Sorry about the air pollution from the burning plastic.

Reply to
Huge