Pretty stupid push-fit question

Matt, you just made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would say it was the fitting.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, he can cut the pipe with a hacksaw as long as he trims off properly. It is clear you don't know this sort of thing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

from memory ... which might be fallible ... it was about 1969~1970 ish that the change over from English measurements to metric measurements happened in copper tubing. [pendants note: there ain't any such thing as 'Imperial' linear measurements! -Albert restricted his messing about to volumetric/weight thingies equating the gallon to ten pounds et.seq. throughout the Empire. the linear measurements of inch, foot, yards, et.al remained unchanged]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I think it was probably later than that. I installed central heating in my previous house in 1969 using 1/2" and 3/4" copper pipe - and there was not even a hint of metric sizes then as far as I can remember.

Towards the end of the period in which inch sizes were used, there were several revisions to the standard - with progressively smaller wall thicknesses - so you had to make sure you had the right bending spring - and the thinner walled stuff was more difficult to bend without kinking.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is very little late 1960's early 1970s new build around here. I therefore probably only encounter it in places that had substantial work done in that period.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

1971.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I've found so many different styles of compression fittings in metric I can't identify pipe by what's used on it. The bottom line is the size:

1/2" is very slightly bigger than 15mm but as near as dammit, whereas is smaller than 22mm by enough to make a pushfit unreliable. For compression the correct thing is to use a 3/4" olive (available from BES and real plumbers merchants) but I've got away with cranking up a 22mm olive really tight. Copper may be a better bet for this sort of abuse than brass because it's softer.
Reply to
John Stumbles