Power cuts - subtle ?!

Had a leaflet through the door from Western Power Distribution, with a handy glow-in-the-dark fridge magnet with their emergency number on it, in case of power cuts.

What do they know that we don't ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Don't tell me, you live in Kent?

Reply to
Davey

Gawd knows, but we've got two of the damn things.

Reply to
Adrian

Nothing if you've been watching GridWatch and reading this group...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nope - Midlands ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Interestingly enough, so have we ...

Maybe it's an attempt to get us to buy another fridge ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Noticed a couple of my colleagues who have poo-pooed my suggestion that the lights *will* go out (somewhere) are a tad less enthusiastic in their rebuttals now, having also got them, and agreeing that it's not something that happens every year.

The worrying thing is their optimism is based entirely on the belief "they won't let that happen", rather than evidence and facts. Really they should be in high office.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have my wood burner/cooker, candles, lantern and petrol generator all at the ready.

Reply to
harryagain

En el artículo , harryagain escribió:

I took the easy way out and pissed off to another country.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That explains: "En el artículo" then.

Reply to
Davey

Yes - I had one a few days ago - the day after this area had *three* power cuts (really)! (East Mids)

Reply to
jake

We have one. Its got a map of Western Power distribution area - Midlands, Wales, Devon & Cornwall. Seems a strange area to me - maybe there are technical reasons. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We haven't even got one. B-(

DNO's phone number is in several phones memories though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

Although a power cut the other night seemed to blow part of my CH electronics, which is a bit of a bugger

Reply to
newshound

/harry

I have my wood burner/cooker, candles, lantern and petrol generator all at the ready. /q

Tin foil hat? Paper underwear?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Historical, I suspect.

Caught me by surprise that Western Power don't cover half of West Wales or any of North Wales, but do cover a chunk of the Lincolnshire coast!

Reply to
Adrian

I hope one of them is wired.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

VOIP/DECT but all required bits on a UPS that will keep them up for about >6 hrs provided the server is powered off quickly (which it does automagically). Failing that a wired/line powered phone is also connected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

most likely take overs. Scottish Power took over Manweb and serves a lot of Lancashire & North Wales, so it's quite logical.

Reply to
charles

All a long way from the parent in Pennsylvania , Parents were bit concerned when the board for their area SWEB first got sold to an American operator though that is not the same as the present one as what was SWEB has passed through a couple of hands since. To give them their due the first US owners did a lot of replacement work around the overhead supplies to my parents area . Power cuts had become so regular that freezer insurance was becoming excessively expensive. After the work it went right down to the odd hour or two following lightning strikes apart from a couple of severe weather events.Just before I had got them an 8kW generator with a

2cylinder Lister/Petter engine which was hand start that was beyond my elderly fathers capabilities so I had to purchase a starter motor . Cost about £500 ISTR , The correctly installed change over switch installation cost about another £150. They only had to use the genny in anger about 3 times in the following 14 years ago which economically wasn't viable but it gave them peace of mind in an isolated spot.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg