Polishing a soft plastic.

Somebody was washing off what I thought was glass, so i advised them to dry it with kitchen paper towel to avoid the local hard water chalk stains.

Then I discovered it was 'plastic' from a picture frame and the paper towel has left a smear mark on the plastic.

We have tried the glass polish 'turtle wax clear view', but it's still not leaving a clear finish, rather a smear finish that looks like grease; but is not. Grateful for any futher suggestions, on a very fine way to polish up what looks like quite a soft plastic.

Reply to
John Black

Brasso.

Reply to
brass monkey

Thanks. before applying our Brasso we tried a cheap supermarket car polish, which practically has no abrasive qualties that we could detect.

It has done the job just fine. Shows just how soft this plastic must be.

Reply to
John Black

Good. You don't want detectable abrasive qualities, that will just give you detectable scratches (i.e. will make the surface matt). For many things, polishing is as much about getting surface flow (i.e. peaks deforming to fill valleys) as actually removing material.

Reply to
newshound

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank thanks. Angle grinder seems to have severely damaged it. please advise further.

Reply to
John Black