Plumbing gloop

screwfix

p292 1.69 14477 evilstick plumbers mait p292 1.22 16974 purelymacho jointing compound

whats th differnce? Which do i need for copper piped CH?

thanks, NT

Reply to
bigcat

I didn't use any goo for my CH and it never leaks. Only problem arises with scratched olives and/or copper pipes. john

Reply to
John

I use jet blue from plumb centre 'cause it's good for gas and als potable water.

Some people wrap a turn of ptfe around an olive.

I never trust a com,pression fitting. Only use them where manufacture has provided them and there is no other way of connecting to thei appliance. Never use them by choice.

They use them a lot on board ship and never use a compound, but the also get a lot of leaks which they don't give a toss about. Youve go decorating and carpets to think about

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

manufacturer

OK, I'm undoing joints made with hemp and gloop, and reassembling, so I assume I shall need gloop. I just dont know which gloop. I dont have any hemp btw :)

thanks, NT

Reply to
bigcat

I'd have to say I've never had any trouble doing copper compression fittings.

Careful preparation is important (don't scratch the pipe, deburr properly if cut with a hacksaw, work "clean" so you don't get grit and crap in the joint), as is not overtightening. The latter will distort the olive irretrievably. You can always tighten a weeping joint, but a damaged one will need replacing. In the worst case, I undo the joint and add a light smear of Boss White around the olive and retighten.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Available from any street corner dealre,but you will have to go to a builders merchant for plumbers mait.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well traditionally we used hemp and boss white. A gromet made from thi was far superior to a fibre washer in a tap connector for instance. Bu we aren't meant to use it any more, particularly boss white, but don't think we should be using hemp on potable water either. I hav found that a similar gromet made from ptfe alone works very well, an is also far superior to modern production fibre washers which are no to be trusted.

For gloop, read boss white, but not in the case of potable water i which case the best alternative I have found is as I said Jet Blue

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Fernox LS-X, no hemp use necessary.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Boss white, but not for potable water

DIY ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm going to be an awkward ----. I'm not gonig to make a separate visit somewhere for a tub of boss white, and screwfix dont do it. So I either pick the evilstick or the macho. Which is the better one for glooping old CH connections?

They also do griffin blue gel @ an ouchy tenner a tub.

thanks for putting up with me:) ... so far

NT

Reply to
bigcat