Plastic Guttering / Fasia / Sofit replacement

Not D-I-Y but anything I need to ensure when getting a quote for this?

Reply to
John

The chaps who did ours lifted the tiles and replaced the bottom 18" or so of roofing felt as well. Part of the quoted job.

They also spotted a felting/timber problem further up and 'accidentally' left the scaffolding there for an extra 5 days for the roofer to use.

Reply to
Tony Williams

The monkeys who did next-door's guttering and fascia weren't very good. My fascias are wooden so when they fitted a UPVC fascia over nextdoor's rotting old fascia ( another no-no ) the gutters were not aligned very well - they busted two of my gutter clips off without asking me to get his guttering to join with mine. Even then when they connected the gutters together they were under strain so the joints ( haha - gobs of silicone ) leaked. Also, my house is a semi, and they did not angle their gutter down slightly away from my house, so the water that runs into my neighbour's gutters now all runs into mine! There should be a fall of at least 1:100 and better than that really (1:60 ish ? ) towards the downpipe. Finally, they weren't able to get all their gutter clips aligned so they had a dip in the guttering at one point where a pool of water formed, so all the little birdies took baths in it. Beware! Get up there and look at their handiwork and tell them to avoid the c*ck-ups I have warned you about!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I have to say that noone around here gets officialdom involved in DIY except under pain of death, and I understand that. Having said that I had no conception that a BCO was necessary to look at guttering. Whilst I can see a BCO would have been a good chap to have around for this episode, I don't want one telling me I'm incapable of wiring a socket in a kitchen or of fixing a soil pipe into the floor and charging me wonga for it. Local government is full of people who want to control our lives that little bit more each time, they won't be happy until we need to sign a chit to get out of bed! The problems are now entirely my neighbour's: I fixed dividers into the guttering where the boundary line of our houses occurred so no water from his gutter can flow into mine, I removed the bodged silicone sealant join and replaced with new gutter couplers, and I replaced the broken gutter clips with new ones stood off the fascia a little to easy the misalignment in depths of the two fascias. I used the opportunity to clean and paint my soffits and fascias, they were in dire need. Complaining to my neighbour would have raised the possibility of a dispute ( you never know how people will react ). I am awaiting a cloudburst now to see how my neighbour's guttering copes!.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I hope you submitted a risk assessment before climbing the ladder.

Reply to
John

In triplicate and three weeks in advance!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Where was next door's BCO in all this ? - definitely covered in the regs.

Reply to
Mike

Are they quoting for complete replacement or just cladding the existing timber.

Are they fitting vented soffit boards or plain? Do you need the vented type?

Will they take all the rubbish away?

The only problem we have is that the new gutter projects further and the TV aerial mast (fixed to the side of the house) now rubs against it whenever the wind blows. You can hear it throughout the house.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq