guttering

Hi,

What's the best (safest) way to replace guttering? Had a quote from a pro for £200 labour and £100ish parts. Does that seem reasonable? I wondered whether for £200 I could hire some scaffolding/a cherry picker and do it myself? I don't think I would feel comfortable at the top of a ladder "hands free".

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Last lot I did, I had scaffolding. I was however also repairing the roof and needed to pile up the tiles, and replacing and painting the facias. I would say the scaffolding made it all so easy, and safe compared to a ladder, that I would consider using it again even for simpler tasks such as just doing gutters and facias. (No point doing gutters without painting or if necessary replacing facias IMO.) Scaffolding was £300 for a 5m long wall up to just below the first floor gutter line, but cantilevered over a porch and ground floor bay window roof which I didn't want them to put any weight on. Might even find cost of that sort of thing drops in the current building climate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You could probably do it youself for that, but why bother? - he's doing it for that and *you* don't have to get covered in rotted leaves and put yourself in danger into the bargain.

I normally charge approx £300 per elevation, IE mid terrace = £600, semi = £900 and detatched = £1200

Reply to
Phil L

Essentially a 2 blokes/2 ladders operation I would have thought

Reply to
stuart noble

The message from stuart noble contains these words:

Why bother with diy at all. Just leave it to the professionals and spend your spare time watching your bank balance diminish. :-)

Some of us don't have £1200 to spare for such a simple task, some of us that do just prefer to keep savings for essential work we can't do ourselves and some of us are just workaholics. Hmm, I seem to fit into all three categories.

I replaced half the guttering on my house and put up guttering on my barn last summer working on my own from a ladder. About 100 feet of plastic in total. I didn't find it much of a problem although I have since bought a stand-off to make doing the final section a bit easier. Previous guttering was wooden and replacing wood with wood would have been more difficult on account of the weight, but probably much quicker. However I expect the plastic to last longer than the wood did.

Reply to
Roger