Guttering tip

It's usually either WD-40, or Duct-Tape. In this case probably the latter...

Reply to
Bartc

Had to replace a 90 degree corner on some guttering yesterday, which involved removing an 18" length of gutter.

The new corner sealed perfectly - regular readers will guess that the old fitting at the other end of the 18" section now dripped! Regular readers will also guess that the drip was positioned exactly over a doorway!

Usual problem, the rubber seal strip had compressed with age & didn't re seal properly.

I found the ideal solution - a strip of self amalgamating tape over the old rubber seal. Soft enough to form a perfect seal, thin enough not to interfere with snapping the clips back on.

Hope that's useful for someone in the future

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought WD-40 was "the ideal solution" :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The sealing strip needs to continue sealing as the gutter expands and contracts each time the sun comes in and out and slides in and out of the joint (you can often hear gutters moving as each cloud goes past). I wounder how long your seal will last as the gutter slides in the joint?

What I have done in this situation is buy any old extra gutter fitting, nick the seal from it, and use it to replace the failed bit. I also lubricate them with pushfit pipe lubricant (silicone), which besides making assembly easier, also helps lubricate the sliding action for longer before the seal eventually fails. Some makes (Wickes possibly) actually sell spare seals for their guttering parts. If you take a joint apart and reassemble it for any reason, it's important to make sure you wash all the sand out of the seal, which can interfere with the sliding, and then causes the seal to be pushed out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It might be possible that the amount by which the gutter changes size can all be absorbed at one end, so "glueing" the other end in a way which prevents free movement may not matter. Indeed if this particular seal has hardened it may well already not have slid, and relied on the other end moving. There's a good chance, it seems to me, that all will be well in this case.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Sticking the tape under the seal may work well - it will probably bond to the rubber...

Reply to
John Rumm

As if Mr Bodgit and Scarper gives a toss about that

Do you charge for your online training sessions for unqualified ex-salesmen.

Reply to
Mark

Well aware of that, which is why I didn't use a 'sticks even to wet surfaces' sealer.

Except they are not all compatible. This was Terrain 'Torrent' which is

125mm, not the industry standard 112mm.

I also

Good idea that.

Nope.