Pinching the Garage -effect on house value?

It has one, the missus refuses to carry her washing round the side, she wants a door inside from the kitchen, heh women eh ?

Reply to
Vass

That's what I meant - a door between the garage and the kitchen but a proper external type door as opposed to an internal one IYSWIM

Reply to
Richard Conway

That would be ok then? cool, if thats the answer and no inspectors needed or plans or council involvement

then I'll do just that and a stud partition in the garage as a 'temporary' option to future buyers thanks

Reply to
Vass

However, if you decide not to tell them, at least do it to spec so there are no issues if the partition is removed. There must be a step down (or a barrier) from the kitchen to contain petrol fumes (something like 15 or

20cm, IIRC). The door doesn't need to be external. However, it DOES need to be a fire door. Also, either the frame or door must have intumescent strips to seal in the smoke (or alternatively, obscenely large door stops on the frame).

Such a door is a selling point even if the buyers prefer you to remove the stud partition.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Vass" contains these words:

AIUI if you want a connecting door between house and garage the door must be a fire door and there must be at least a 4" step down into the garage. Should you want to physically separate any utility room from the remainder of the garage the wall has to have a certain fire resistance which would rule out a simple stud wall.

I can't see any reason off hand why a utility room has to be treated as a habitable room but regulations fatty 2 jags has a hand in are not renowned for reason. :-)

Reply to
Roger

I would ask a local estate agent [ "I'm thinking of selling...(!) ] and see what they reckon; the effect on house value may be very area-dependent and you may get a good steer on this from an agent.

One point to consider is, is there off-road parking for a car on a drive? That's almost as important I'd suggest; if you lose the garage and have no off-road parking, that would be a major downer for buyers IMHO.

david

Reply to
Lobster

I don't believe so. A normal stud wall with 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard should be OK, AIUI.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this NG who "needs" a garage, but not for keeping a car in. We actually considered a house where they'd done this ("store room...up and over door"). It didn't put us off. The fact that the rest of the house wasn't up to much did though.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

If you call 25mm obscenely large that is...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep. I do. It offends my aesthetic sense. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Wheras we wouldn't have cared. Garage wasn't at all high on our shopping list (though shed(s) or space therefore was) For everyone that must have a garage there will be another who is more interested in (for instance) size of master bedroom/overall floor area/utility Room/Working Chimney/"Nice" Kitchen?etc,etc.

Go ahead and put it in if it suits your use of the building, others can either rip it out, pr pass by.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yes 2 spaces in front of the garage :-) yellow lines on the road :(

Reply to
Vass

In message , snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk writes

E The original question asked if it would affect the value of the house.

There is no doubt that a house with a "garage", which cannot be used as a garage will have a negative impact on a typical buyers perception of value.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Agreed. I would have thought if you are going to convert it, then do it completely - replace the door with a wall/window etc, insulate to modern specs and provide permenent access to the room(s) from inside the house.

An extra reception room and utility may add value over a garrage if there is already ample off street parking.

Reply to
John Rumm

As long as it is a self closing (1/2hour) fire door, and there is a 150mm step down to the utilityroom/garage.

Reply to
<me9

One house on our "maybe" list would need this undoing if we moved in!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Thanks to all for your input on this one Just one more thing, Is there a limit to the width I can have this door between the Kitchen and the Utility room? Wanting to keep as much Kitchen wall space as possible thanks again

Reply to
Vass

As in the smallest door size? - usually about 2'6" I think...

Reply to
John Rumm

The bog and bathroom are 2'3" wide here. (The doors, that is.)

Reply to
<me9