Piggin Doors - an Idea!

Hi

Forgot to mention in my rant about Wickes hardwood doors, that, in a moment of inspiration, I came up with a cracking idea.

The door in question was about 3mm too wide - not an easy amount to cut off accurately and was best done on the hinge side, to avoid the locking gear.

Not wishing to have to cut all the rebates for the hinges again, I came up with the following idea;

I set up my circular saw and a batten to take off a 3/8" strip, then simply glued it back on again. A little sanding and the join is invisible - the door is now 3mm smaller, that being the width of the saw blade.

Have I just re invented the wheel, or can I claim my Nobel Prize for DIY?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It would have been easier to plane it off with an electric plane.

Reply to
Set Square

Take it back? :-)

Wouldn't a plane have been easier?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not so matey, then I would have to have re cut the hinge rebates, or they wouldn't be deep enough.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I'm trying to imagine what the rest of your place looks like

NT

Reply to
meow2222

One pass with a circular saw with 100% accuracy and squareness compared to a plane? You must be kidding. Yes, the OP has re-invented the wheel.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Being a connoisseur of creative bodging I do appreciate the originality, but it does seem to be a solution to a non-existent problem.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I like the idea, too, but agree - what did you glue it with, davidlang?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Somehow I've got a vision of a 3/8 wide section of door attached to its hinges and the rest of it lying on the floor. Hope your gluing is good :-)

Reply to
Matt

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Rob Morley scribed:

Why 'non existant'? It was 3mm too wide for the frame. In my book, a door wot won't shut, /is/ a bleedin' problem! ;-)

N.

Reply to
nrh

It's an article of faith amongst wood-workers and glue-makers that the glue-join is stronger than the wood. A length of Wood, as you'll know is actually tubes, somewhat like drinking straws, of woody stuff 'glued' together when growing as a tree. Interrupting the joined-together nature of these drinking straws by removing a kerf's width of 'straws' then joining the two exposed surfaces together with a stronger glue shouldn't lead to the situation you've envisioned . But , as Norm says, 'You can never have enough clamps' and one hopes David did!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I presume your cut section is near enough to the edge for the hinge screws to pass right through it into the remainder of the door.

Reply to
John Rumm

The screws will hold it...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The screws need to go through 3/8" of material before the door timber proper, so should be OK if they're 1 1/4" long or more.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It probably wouldn't matter if he used no glue at all - it's only holding the edge on so the paint doesn't crack along a line...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

He proposed his method as an alternative to deepening the hinge rebates and skimming 3mm off the edge, which really isn't a big job.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not really. It depends on the plane, its setting and the user.

A router and a clamp guide would be even better still, but ones of this length are relatively expensive.

Mmmm....

Reply to
Andy Hall

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Rob Morley scribed:

I should imagine to an experienced carpenter, that would indeed ring true. However, if the OP is anything like me, I too should have been chuffed to have found another way around what I know to be a wretched job. Only in my case, I faced the opposite problem in that I needed to make doors bigger to fit an oversized frame. That required adding a strip of hardwood down the hinged edge, and then making the rebates for the hinges. Ugh! :-(

N.

Reply to
nrh

Does no one use a 'spear&jackson', hand plane anymore? These damn electric planes are a bugger to use it only takes a slight pause in the length of the wood and we have a hollow, arrrrrgh!!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

When I have a couple of mm's to take of a door these are ideal for the job.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby