Piggin Doors - an Idea!

Wood butchery is a term that springs to mind.

It's a rough shaping tool and that's it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Taking longer doesn't always produce better results, but part of the fun for me has always been devising shortcuts. You know, spend all day designing a jig, ten minutes doing the job, then never use the jig again :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

First prize Stuart for understanding the idea! Few others seem to have.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I glued it with Titebond 2 chrisbacon :-)

Rubbed joint, several 20mm x 18g brads from my air nailer, 12 x 2" screws through the hinges - it aint not going anywhere!

Light sanding and the joint is just about invissible.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Modern glues? Almost impossible not to get it right. Titebond 2 - wonderful stuff.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Andy Hall method;

1 x Lie-Nielsen No.7 Jointer Plane £300.45 3 x DMT Bench Whetstones £136.50

Total = £436.95

Time taken - several hours.

Dave Lang method;

B&D Circular saw £65

Fine tooth TCT blade from Screwfix £15

Total = £80

Time taken - 10 mins.

My case rests.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Pretty good. We have a 1978 Cortina, an old gas stove and a soggy mattress in the front garden, corrugated iron fences in the back garden, red/yellow slabbed patio, flying ducks and a mural in the lounge.

Whats your place like f****it?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

But that's normal.

If you look at most of the books and articles on jig making, they nearly all say that it takes longer than the usage ever is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Let's hope your door does as well.....

It certainly wouldn't take a LN #7 plane or several hours, BTW.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Crude(ish) shaping....

the trick to use them on wood is to rotate them through about 45 degrees to the edge of the wood you want to shave so you are part pushing and part sliding them along the surface - they will then cut very small multiple plane like shavings.

Reply to
John Rumm

They are made especially so that after trying to use them a few times they can be consigned to the cupboard under the kitchen sink, together with all those other must-have appliances that are advertised, like mandolins ('There, have you ever seen onions shredded so easily? Just add some shredded cabbage and carrots, some olive oil or mayonnaise and you have a quick and easy coleslaw.......)

:-))

Reply to
The Wanderer

What's hard about using a hand plane to take a thin even strip off the side of a door? I think it would be much more effort to use a surform, with inferior results.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Rough shaping of car body filler, that sort of thing.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Trim body filler with a stanley blade just before it goes off. There's a

2 minute period for sculpting. I've never found a use for surforms
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Depends on the type of woodworker you are. If it's just an excuse to grow a beard and wear a check shirt, you tend not to be very innovative.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

:-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They're quite usable on softwood, provided you've got a sharp blade in the thing.

Reply to
Andy Wade

A Surform is excellent for finishing ends and edges, especially the edges of aluminium sheet. :-)

Reply to
Tony Williams

Fast removal of material & shaping. Use where you might use a flat rasp.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But we all sand it down afterwards anyway. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby