Picking an underlay

I'm Having a carpet fitted by carpetright (who curiously couldn't be beaten on price by all the local independants I tried).

Anyway, opted to sort out my own underlay, as I know they massively markup on those sort of things. I already have grippers and carpet bars fitted.

That said, there is a MASSIVE choice, and no obvious way of working out what's best for me. I certainly don't want to skimp. The carpet is for a livingroom hall, open stairs and upstairs landing. 55sq/M worth.

Now it seems PU Foam is what everyone fits these days (rather than the rubber waffle stuff I have down currently) I was leaning towards one called 12mm Dreamwalk, it's got good thermal properties and good sound deadening properties (both the best ratings I have seen), however a couple of problems.... a) it's an "own brand", by a company called Wilsons carpets. and b), it's been mentioned that 12mm may be too thick, and the carpet will bow over the grippers, and also not stay too well because the carpet is higher than the gripper.

I have been also looking at Cloud 9 Contract (in 8mm) and Super Contract (in 10mm). Both have lesser thermal and sound ratings, and are a bit more, but from a known name...

Really confused, and would appreciate some advise from someone in the know.

Cheers.

Reply to
MarkG1234

In article , MarkG1234 writes

I agree with the choice of PU over waffle.

I have used Tredaire 12mm in a bedroom and found it a bit too thick for my liking so would go for 8 or 10mm PU in future. I def wouldn't want

12mm on stairs.

I found these guys reliable and reasonably priced for my small job and would happily try their own brand PU stuff. Buying by the roll is, as to be expected, better price wise than by the metre:

I'd fit the grippers and underlay before the fitters arrive although maybe not on the stairs. If they're Carpetright fitters, be aware that they're not. In common with many carpet suppliers they send out self employed fitters that you pay directly to blur the contractual arrangement and to dodge VAT on the fitting. The blurring also helps them slope their shoulders should the fitter f*ok up the install or damage your fixtures (scoring skirting by amateurish fitting for example). They may be fine but it doesn't do any harm to keep a close eye.

Reply to
fred

I used Cloud 9 in the hall and stairs some years ago and have been well impressed with it. No sign of losing its 'spring' anywhere. The normal air filled stuff would be flat by now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

10mm Cloud 9 in a bedroom here it's fine under a wool mix carpet.

Definately not, 8mm for stairs and hall and possibly the landing but that might be better in 10mm as you might be wandering about in bare feet up there but not in the hall, which also getts higher traffic than the landing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. I once moved into a house where all the skirting boards had a deep score about 6 mm from the bottom. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

en on price by all the local independants I tried). Anyway, opted to sort o ut my own underlay, as I know they massively markup on those sort of things . I already have grippers and carpet bars fitted. That said, there is a MAS SIVE choice, and no obvious way of working out what's best for me. I certai nly don't want to skimp. The carpet is for a livingroom hall, open stairs a nd upstairs landing. 55sq/M worth. Now it seems PU Foam is what everyone fi ts these days (rather than the rubber waffle stuff I have down currently) I was leaning towards one called 12mm Dreamwalk, it's got good thermal prope rties and good sound deadening properties (both the best ratings I have see n), however a couple of problems.... a) it's an "own brand", by a company c alled Wilsons carpets. and b), it's been mentioned that 12mm may be too thi ck, and the carpet will bow over the grippers, and also not stay too well b ecause the carpet is higher than the gripper. I have been also looking at C loud 9 Contract (in 8mm) and Super Contract (in 10mm). Both have lesser the rmal and sound ratings, and are a bit more, but from a known name... Really confused, and would appreciate some advise from someone in the know. Cheer s. -- Using Opera's mail client:

Remember to pay as much as or more for the underlay than what you paid for the carfpet.

Reply to
zaax

Don't be silly. That only applies to very cheap carpet - which is poor value anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

r the carfpet.

What utter tosh!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Thanks. The stairs are open, so they will be wrapped. Will that make a different to your recommendation to not go too thick (you didn't go into the reasons).

I'm starting to thin that the 10mm Cloud9 super contract is the way to go, but reuse the perfectly serviceable waffle rubber underlay that's currently in the living room, cut up into squares on the stair wrapping.

Reply to
MarkG1234

But isn't poor value cheap carpet what you want for tenants who somehow manage to burn holes in everything?

Reply to
Windmill

Or pay nothing

Reply to
meow2222

In article , MarkG1234 writes

It's for foot security and reduced trip risk, you want low compression and good pressure feedback for what is a high risk area for accidents.

As it's a high traffic area you may want to use new and chose one of the high traffic underlays. The supplier I mentioned up-thread will do stuff by the metre too at little extra cost over full rolls. I found their product descriptions and choosing underlay help section useful in making my final choices. (No affiliation btw).

Reply to
fred

No my reasoning is that stairs are a high traffic and high wear area. Carpet needs support to take the impacts but too much movement, as a thick underlay will allow, means the carpet fibres move too much and wear against each other.

For the normal traffic areas yes but not hall or stairs.

Naw it'll fall apart in double quick time. I'd not use rubber waffle underlay anywhere these days. Spent far to long in the past picking up a bit of coarse sack cloth and having to vacuum up heaps of black powder...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice