Piainting Gloss With A Roller

I have a previously painted door to recoat with Johnstone's Gloss .I have already rubbed it down and undercoated it .I am contemplating using a roller to apply the gloss ..Any tips .What sort of roller .I have a short fleece type roller .Would that do .I also have a longer synthetic one that I use for emulsion which I don't want ti use if I can avoid it as I will probably end up throwing away whichever roller I do use . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

You need a short-pile roller - I think you can get special foam ones too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

B&Q do a gloss roller set for a couple of quid its foam and it does a good job, but make sure prep is ok as it puts a very thin coat on

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yep, use a foam one for best results. I've tried a short haired roller with gloss and found the hair loss to be a nuisance.

Just use a foam one and don't bother to clean it afterwards...they're as cheap as chips - and uncleanable :-)

Reply to
RedOnRed

Once you've applied the paint (quickly), lay it off with a good brush.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

So is that better than putting it on with the brush, too? At least you wouldn't then have a roller to clean!

Reply to
Set Square

Well,I have just put the gloss on with the short haired fleece type roller I had available and then laid it off with a brush ...Never again will I paint a door with a brush unless it's unavoidable ...What a saving in time .Just minutes to paint the door and it looks excellent so far .....As I only had the one roller I DID clean it but if doing it again I would get more rollers and probably just throw it ( them ) away .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

How do they work on panelled doors? I've found paint pads excellent for that type of job. Very quick, and a first class finish. And there is no risk of spatter. As the pads are so thin they are not too difficult to clean by immersing the business end in a shallow dish of white spirit.

Tony.

Reply to
tonybo

That is my finding too, though I used cheap and disposable small foam rollers, they get the paint onto the surface much faster than a brush (with which I have many years experience) and will be my method of choice in future.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon