Pegler qtr-turn ball valve and red/blue washer hose

Anyone confirm a 15mm pegler qtr-turn ball valve has a seat which a standard red/blue washer hose will fit?

That is to say one compression nut & olive can be removed and a washer hose simply screwed on with its internal washer seating correctly. Never did check, just before I buy parts.

Reply to
js.b1

"js.b1" wrote

Think you need a specific washing machine valve for this. IIRC both the connection size and threads are different (bsp for hose end).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I think washing machine hoses are normally 3/4", so no it won't fit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They are, that's ok. Thanks to all. Just had some of the Pegler left over, last time I saw a washing hose end was early 1990s :-)

Anyone do some magically good washing machine valves?

Reply to
js.b1

Why not use the ball valve you mention plus a short bit of 15mm pipe on the outlet, with a 15mm comp to 3/4 MI fitting on the end. The washing machine hose should screw onto that provided it has a flattish end for the washer to seat. [Or just use any old cheapo washing machine valve - left permanently open - in series with your decent valve].

Reply to
Roger Mills

Best solution. Make sure the 1/4 turn has a good clip either side of the valve. Best have the valve at the front of the kitchen sink cupboard, so it is isolated easy. Then from the valve run a pipe to the w/machine point using a w/machine valve. Every time you do not use the w/machine turn it off by the easy accessible 1/4 turn valve.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But if he has to go and buy the 15mm to 3/4 then he'd be as well buying a new wash m/c valve and fit that and do the job properly and keep the Pegler ball valve for another day.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Turn it off every time you don't use the machine? You surely don't mean between every wash do you?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yes. If the w/machine is cold fill,which most top models are these days, then you open the door under the sink and at the front is a 1/4 turn valve. It takes less then a second to turn the w/machine off or on. The w/machine is isolated. If the hose burst when you are out, then you will know about it. Simple, quick and effective. I have done it a number of times. Look at the small print and you will find many hose are not guaranteed for constant high pressures.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is best do what I and he suggests.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks, using an extra pipe is possible. However that may wait until I redo the plumbing (and kitchen units).

Screwfix do a Pegler Washing Machine Tap - 25555. That is at least a reasonable brand vs unbranded.

I would like to pick up Miele hoses (1070psi IIRC vs 140psi Comap) because our water spikes very high overnight (too many houses added to an undersized pre war water main).

Reply to
js.b1

They are all poor that is just thebest of bad bunch. Best use the 1/4 turn valve at the opposite end to hinge at the kitchen sink door. Two seconds to turn off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Re hose burst, that is why I want Miele hoses.

10700kPa is 1020psi unless I'm mistaken :-)

Floodcheck do some interesting valves here...

- Automatic - turns off under many circumstances

- Washing machine - allows NN litres then shuts off

Reply to
js.b1

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But he was worried about the quality of your average washing machine valve - and with good reason. After months - or years - of being left in one position, they often seize up, and won't turn off when you need them to. It's quite common for the plastic knob to break off. The Peglar valve - with its decent metal lever - won't suffer from that problem.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed, and there's no guarantee that the resulting bits of plastic won't be sharp enough and pointed the right way to cut the digit doing the turning. That gave me some excercise in swearing!

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

They still seize up.Best to have a 1/4 turn valve that is operated daily then it will not seize up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , js.b1 writes

Different on the "service" end

You need to replace the ball valve, although you shoule be able to use the olive and captive nut already on the pipe

Reply to
geoff

Indeed, Screwfix delivered a pile of spares Thu & Fri (despite the snow).

Awaiting on a plumber Monday to fit at my Mother's. The old stopcock will not quite shut off and the 30yr old washing machine valve will probably not move or snap. I have an dental abscess and wish to avoid putting my head low, plus I want a plumber around if something does break (like the lead pipe or stopcock).

The supply pipe is shared, this year I must find it and get an outside stopcock fitted, even if I have to dig a test pit every weekend. They are wonderful things - the street one turns off another elderly lady's so useless. Not sure I should try the original 70yr one.

A colleague lost a washer hose (full bore) last night in the Midlands, the stopcock to lead came apart in his hand, fortunately he had an external stopcock fitted in error (looks like a K551 rather than plastic) which stopped the flood dead.

Reply to
js.b1