Boiler frost protection

Hi, I am hoping someone can confirm correct behavior - would it be normal for the frost stat to turn the heating pump on?
I can see the point - protects the pipes as they cross the garage, but it can mean that if the garage is cold, the house can get too warm!
It can also mean the heating is effectively on all night.
Thanks, Paul
--
Paul Matthews
snipped-for-privacy@cattytown.me.uk

Yes the pump will run when the frost stat kicks in.
Most frost thermostats trigger at about 4 deg C. Is your frost stat inbuilt or a seperate unit? I have already had to move one incorrectly placed frost stat this year as the boiler was running all night.
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

Ta
It is separate, and above the boiler. From memory I am not sure how directly above.
--
Paul Matthews
snipped-for-privacy@cattytown.me.uk
Paul Matthews wrote:

Directly above, app 2' higher.
--
Paul Matthews
snipped-for-privacy@cattytown.me.uk

Any chance you could turn the

Any chance you could turn the stat down so it comes on at a lower temperature or isolate it from the wall with say a piece of polystyrene.
Adam
Paul Matthews wrote:

The controller I had in a previous house had 2 stage frost protection. The first stage brought the pump on when the ext temp dropped to -1degC, the second stage brought the boiler on when the water temperature dropped below 10degC if I remember rightly? , or was it the internal air tempdropped to 10degC. Anyway you get the drift. Cheers Don

You ought to have a secondary "pipe thermostat" mounted on the outlet (flow) pipe of the boiler, wired in series with the frost stat and set for a lowish temperature say 20 degrees C. The frost stat starts the boiler and pump but the pipe stat limits the temperature rise of the water. This prevents overheating of the house and possibly more importantly high fuel consumption. Danfoss make a suitable unit.
You ought to have a secondary "pipe thermostat" mounted on the outlet (flow) pipe of the boiler, wired in series with the frost stat and set for a lowish temperature say 20 degrees C. The frost stat starts the boiler and pump but the pipe stat limits the temperature rise of the water. This prevents overheating of the house and possibly more importantly high fuel consumption. Danfoss make a suitable unit.
Would you not need that on the return pipe?
Adam
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
>>You ought to have a secondary "pipe thermostat" mounted on the outlet >>(flow) pipe of the boiler, wired in series with the frost stat and set >>for a lowish temperature say 20 degrees C. The frost stat starts the >>boiler and pump but the pipe stat limits the temperature rise of the >>water. This prevents overheating of the house and possibly more >>importantly high fuel consumption. Danfoss make a suitable unit.

I'd think the lag involved in heating the boiler contents would take care of that. The pump would shoot the warm water around for long enough to take the danger of freezing away.
saying something like:

Just fitted a Honeywell frost stat today. The instructions said to wire a pipe stat (set at 25 deg) on the return pipe in series with the Honeywell stat.
Of course the wholesalers didn't have a pipe stat in stock so I will fit that after the weekend.
Adam