Pan connector, slight drip

Put the cistern/toilet back together today it is all flexi connector from the pan and has a 90 degree turn and then to the soil stack. I have used the `old` connector and it has a slight drip where it connects to the pan. It is not the doughnut that is dripping as that was replaced and checked for leaks.

My plan is to reposition (wiggle it about) and hopefully this will stop the drip, if not what is the best course of action.

I want to seal the pan to the floor with silicone but not before I correct this slight issue.

Reply to
ss

Does the flexi connector slope downwards all the way from the pan to the stack?

Is the connector fully seated on the pan.

Have you checked the seals inside the pan-end connector to make sure they are all still in their seats and aren't folded over anywhere?

Is the pan outlet the same diameter as the old one ... if it was larger I wonder if it's stretched the seals slightly?

Assuming there is no mechanical reason it isn't sealing and before you go to the silicone, try putting the seal end of the connector in hot water for a while before putting it back on the pan to see if it 'relaxes' and softens the seals a bit?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can you apply a thick daub of plumbers grease (silicone grease) to the joint then push back together? That usually helps reticent soil connections.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes it slopes downward all the way.

Yes

the connector is and the pan are both the original ones that was the only thing I didnt change with the refurb.

that I will try tomorrow.

Reply to
ss

In my experience the seals on soil outlet fittings tend to go 'crusty' and brittle once in use for a few years. Usually not a problem until disturbed and/or reused. They may even become permanently distorted if previously used when the connector was not fitted squarely and they will fail to make a good seal when used again in a slightly different orientation.

I learnt my lesson on this many years ago and always replace with new fittings.

Reply to
alan_m

That's the problem......

Reply to
David Lang

More than likely but as I cant get a new one til Friday/Sat then I will try in the meantime to get it drip free, its only a few drops each flush so not a major problem.

Reply to
ss

The pan connector will have a rubber seal which fits over the pan outlet. I'd try a smear of Vaseline on that to help it make better contact. You *could* try Plumbers Mait - but that's a lot messier to clean up if it doesn't succeed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Update:

After a couple of days it appears to have sealed itself, I did put a hairdryer on it for a bit to soften the seal and it seems to have `bedded` in ok. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks all for the input.

Reply to
ss