Painting papered wall

I'm painting a previously papered wall. I've washed as much paste off as possible with sugar soap and plan to use Polyfilla basecoat before painting. Do you think I need to put an oil based basecoat on instead to stop residual pastebleeding through?

Reply to
kev208

I'm painting a previously papered wall. I've washed as much paste off as possible with sugar soap and plan to use Polyfilla basecoat before painting. Do you think I need to put an oil based basecoat on instead to stop residual paste bleeding through?

Reply to
kev208

Paste won't bleed through emulsion paint. The only time I'd consider an oil based paint is on outside walls where there may be damp

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Well I've often put up lining paper on walls with a poor surface, and then simply emulsioned the lining paper withou further ado. Not sure what you're worried will happen?

Applying an oil-based coat first sounds a bad idea for several reasons - it will be hard work to do; make it a total sod to strip the paper off some time in the future; and if they are solid brick walls, especially external, may even cause damage by sealing the walls and preventing them from breathing.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Lobster contains these words:

Can't go wrong with 1000gsm lining paper put up crosswise. Works a treat and covers a multitude of sins.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I've stripped the wallpaper, I'm not painting on top of it.

Reply to
kev208

Fine then. Good wash down with sugar soap (which usually needs rinsing off afterwards, unless it's the sort that specifically doesn't) and all should be OK.

David

Reply to
Lobster

On 14 May 2006 09:02:51 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" had this to say:

I've _just_ done exactly the same in my kitchen, and have had no trouble from any substrate material. I cleaned some bits of it with sugar soap first, others I just left, and there's no visible difference. I used Dulux Trade quick-drying eggshell (Pastorale Jade), and one coat seems to suffice.

Reply to
Frank Erskine