Painting previously papered walls

I've started stripping the wallpaper from our bedroom and our intention is to paint straight onto the plaster underneath. The paper is coming off easily enough using a steam stripper but there is still a patchy white residue left on the wall which I'm guessing is the dried adhesive. Am I going to have to scrape all this off as well (which will take forever) or will I get away with running a 1/3 sheet sander over the walls to smooth before I paint.

Thanks

Jim

-- Remove BRAIN before replying

Reply to
JimM

Go for it. I've had 'acceptable' results by just sanding. Which my wife would call the 'rustic look.' But then most of the plaster in my house is rubbish. The only surefire way to get a good smooth finish is to replaster - but I take it from your post, this is not an option you would choose.

NUJ

Reply to
Neal Unitt-Jones

Wash thoroughly with sugar soap. You'll find it next to the wallpaper strippers, for some reason.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle