Paint stripper fell in a new aryllic bath

Thanks to all that responded. The wet and dry removed all of reddish staining. I will get the Brasso and wax polish today. I looks much better now.

Reply to
Mickey

I shouldn't think it would have to be perfect. I would expect that they only use it to select cases to investigate in greater depth. It would be under further (manual) scrutiny that they may uncover the fraud.

On this basis, its performance only has to be "better than chance".

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Be aware that some insurance companies are now using lie detectors. Admiral report that a quarter of stolen car claims are withdrawn when challenged after being analysed. HBOS uses the same technology for house insurance claims.

Reply to
Andrew

What sort of "lie detectors"? I thought even ones with an operator and a live 'victim' had been shown to be useless, I can't imagine how a remote one would work (if this is remote).

Reply to
usenet

Since lie detectors aren't allowable in law in this country it's nice to know they are so far ahead of the field. Perhaps they should fit them to their adverts?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I imagine it's of the entirely made up type to allow the bod to go "Our lie detector machine suggests you're lieing are you sure you want to make a claim, making fraudalent claims is punishable by XYZ..."

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Ley

They measure stress in the voice. They've been around for a while, but UK companies seem to have recently cottened on, and they do seem to be seriously reducing insurance claims, so I suppose all our premiums will be going down, no?

They are always demonstrated by playing a recording of Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Initially I did wonder if in fact that was the only phrase they recognised ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well as far as I know such things have been comprehensively debunked in the USA.

Reply to
usenet

Of course, somebody that is in the middle of dealing with a real incident that leads to an insurance claim could be stressed by that though, rather than because they are lying about a fictitious incident.

Reply to
John Armstrong

"Dave Plowman" wrote | Andrew wrote: | > Be aware that some insurance companies are now using lie | > detectors. ... HBOS uses the same technology for | > house insurance claims. | Since lie detectors aren't allowable in law in this country | it's nice to know they are so far ahead of the field. | Perhaps they should fit them to their adverts?

Or to their agents who fraudulently mis-sell self-certification mortgages (money programme BBC2 last night)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't forget though that the majority of claims are actually processed over the phone. Legitimate claims are usually easy to prove - theft/criminal damage - police reference, accidental damage - produce the damaged item. These checks are usually only there to wittle out those who are trying it on (oh, I dropped my new digital camera and it broke - can I have another - oh, I can't show you that its broken....). For those which appear to be borderline, I'm sure they can, if they want, get someone to come and check, or provide a photo of the broken item or something.

I fully support these sorts of methods on the conditions it doesn't stop valid claims, and it helps keep premiums down.

David Hearn

Nice one

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

OMG really? You have scared me now. At least I am aware. I'll have to practise in front of a mirror. Don't squeal on me now. I couldn't face the interrogation from CID. Again. :^p

Reply to
Suz