Proper Paint Stripper

I went up to B&Q yesterday to buy some Nitromors to find that all the paint strippers are now "free" of methylene chloride - as if this was an advantage. The resulting milky alternative (I won't say exactly what it looks like) is no use at all.

Can one still buy full strength Nitromors - the kind you can wash off with white spirit so you don't raise the grain of wood?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I doubt it. All part of the EU policy of banning anything that works.

Reply to
Huge

Production of the original formulation ended in December 2010, so it is unlikely you will find anyone with any stock left.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Its not hard to make chloroform, so I wouldnt be surprised if its not hard to make methylene chloride, or other related solvents. Just bear in mind theyre explosive, narcotic, volatile and toxic.

NT

Reply to
NT

What should it be mixed with to give a good paint stripper ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Starch.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Sure that's not some kind of terrorist weapon?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

As the ban is only on its use in paint strippers, you can probably just buy it from a chemical supplier.

New formula Nitromors?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You can still buy the sort you wash off with white spirit, it comes in a yellow can, BUT not the full strength stuff, for reasons others have said.

I had a similar problem, stripping paint from a metal gate. Ended up mixing up a strong batch of caustic soda, thickening it up with wallpaper paste, slapping it on and leaving it overnight.

Did the trick nicely, had to use a stiff scrubbing brush to agitate the paint a couple of times as it was softening, but it all scraped off nicely next morning.

Not sure how well this mixture would work on wood however.

Reply to
Simon T

Hah - what isn't? "You are charged with being in possession of a device likely to be of use to a potential terrorist, to wit, one head/hand/arse."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's how the old pine doors were stripped by salvage yards, is it not? Some drawbacks to it, iirc, like glued joints falling apart later and the grain never being right, because they got left in too long and /or not rinsed off properly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I imagine polishing contractors are still able to purchase it in some form. Their job would be hell otherwise

Reply to
stuart noble

I bought two tins of methylene chloride paint stripper from Wickes just before it was banned. Unfortunately, the tins were poor quality and are slowly corroding. I also have half a tin bought from Wickes several years earlier, and that tin is fine. I need to find something to decant the newer ones into.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The euro legislation refers to 9 industrial deaths, 8 professional deaths and 1 consumer death - yet it's banned as a paint stripper for all consumers and professionals working outside industry, and industry is still allowed to use it ... I suppose there's no point asking where the logic in that is?

or eBay

Andy Burns