Paint stripper fell in a new aryllic bath

I was stripping a some old paint from the window frame so I have the varnished look. I decided that a chemical paint stripper would do the job, I went to answer a telephone call. On my return I noticed that the paint stripper fell into the new bath causing a red patch and pitting where I was frantically trying to remove the offending chemical.

  1. Can the pitting be patched/filled up?
  2. Can spray paint solve the visual impairment if so what type?
  3. Or is this a new bath?
Reply to
Mickey

Contents insurance?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

No - buildings insurance...no - contents insurance...no - oh WTF!

Unfortunately, the OP will have hours/days/weeks of "fun" just getting one of her policies to accept the liability - they will inevitably palm her off on the other one.

The contents people will say it's a fixture of the building and the buildings people will try and tell her it's part of the contents.

If she's lucky, she will have her contents and buildings with the SAME people - in which case you just tell them that it is covered by their company whatever it's classed as and it's their job to pay out without involving you in internal department squabbles - END OF STORY!

HtH RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Of course this isn't the case. It is accidental damage.

It will ONLY be covered by either insurance if you have paid extra for accidental damage.

tim

Reply to
tim

Also the cost of the usual acrylic bath probably wouldn't hit the excess on the policy....

However, when a relative broke a toilet pan in horrid mink colour of ours I was able to replace the whole suite with what the ins coy gave me. The only hassle was "obtaining" a vat receipt for the max they would pay :-)

Reply to
BillR

Depending on how deep the *pitting* is, you may be able to get away with rubbing it down with wet & dry then buffing with T-Cut or Brasso and finally wax polishing the area. This should also remove the bleaching effect as the Acrylic sheet used when forming the bath 'shell' is coloured all the way through.

Brad.

Reply to
Boaz

What ever you do, don't tile the bath in for a lot of months to see if discolouration comes back. That way it will be less hassle to replace if it does. A lot of student accommodation have discoloured patches in the bath, but then those landlords don't exactly care what it looks like. I just remember one that had a big creamy mingy patch that was scratchy on your bum.

Insurance will only pay out if you have accidental cover - it doesn't come as standard. It was one of our main requirements due to hubby's Laurel and Hardy style of DIY/ living. (Sorry hubby)

Am thinking of "spilling" some paint on the hall stairs and landing carpet - it's circa 1970 (yes really) and is stitched together. It seems to have some horse hair effort as underfelt - hilarious. But the big gold swirly patterns really matches my bargain gold £1 a roll/ 18 rolls from a B&Q sale which is actually quite pleasant. As the rugrats are rapidly un-installing everything in the house I'll give it a year before I replace. Sorry to wander totally OT, but does anybody know any big carpet suppliers that do

70's style carpet?
Reply to
Suz

During your student days you lived in a toffee-nosed area then? "Student" and "bath" come across as a contradiction in terms ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Brad, As your suggestion is practical will the T-cut or Brasso be safe to have a bath in afterwards and will the wax polish with stand the heat of the water and bathroom cleaning chemicals? The bath costs less than my insurance excess plus removing it would create more upheaval and testified by its installation.

Reply to
Mickey

Yes, you can get gel coat repair kits from chandlers used to repair pitting and accidental damage to GRP boats. The cost is reasonable *but* you must have a good eye for colour since you have to mix your own colour from a palette of basic colours.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Girls students and boy students are different. Girls students will wash. Usually trying to hover in the middle of a bath and not touch any side. Oh I don't mind being a grown up any more when I think of that.

Reply to
Suz

From a scientific point of view, white light is, by definition, a mixture of colours.

;o))) RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Sorry the colour of the bath is white,I hope that this is a basic colour and ther is no mixing involved.

Reply to
Mickey

In article , Mickey writes

Depends what shade of white it is. Go to Halfrauds and compare the car spray cans.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Bwhahahahahahahahah....

thee's no such colour as "white". White is the hardest colour of all to match because it can be anything from blue-white through to pink and all the shades inbetween.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The method I outlined is how we used to *repair* damaged baths after their manufacturing process.

T-Cut & Brasso are used because of their mild abrasive qualities (it's surprising how sensitive your bum is when you sit on scratched acrylic-as testified earlier by Suz in an earlier thread). Any residue can be washed away & AFAIK, harmless anyway.

The wax polish is for aesthetic purposes.

Brad.

Reply to
Boaz

The mind boggles.

Must admit when I was very young (about 8) we went to lodge with an old lady. Her bathroom had one of those quaint old fashioned iron baths in it with legs on etc. I refused to have a bath all the time we lodged there - used to have the bath at my nan and grandpas.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In message , PoP writes

Is that fond memories then ?

Reply to
geoff

Just buy a "Tubby" kit from Brandon Marketing.

Reply to
geoff

Nah - though I do remember having to make a single pair of loons (I think that was what they were called - casual trousers with bell bottoms, all the rage in the early 70's) last an entire year. We were not a very well off family and those loons certainly looked a bit scruffy towards the end!

PoP

Reply to
PoP