Paint stripper fell in a new aryllic bath

Page 1 of 2
I was stripping a some old paint from the window frame so I have the varnished look. I decided that a chemical paint stripper would do the job, I went to answer a telephone call. On my return I noticed that the paint stripper fell into the new bath causing a red patch and pitting where I was frantically trying to remove the offending chemical. 1. Can the pitting be patched/filled up? 2. Can spray paint solve the visual impairment if so what type? 3. Or is this a new bath?

Contents insurance?
Si
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

No - buildings insurance...no - contents insurance...no - oh WTF!
Unfortunately, the OP will have hours/days/weeks of "fun" just getting one of her policies to accept the liability - they will inevitably palm her off on the other one.
The contents people will say it's a fixture of the building and the buildings people will try and tell her it's part of the contents.
If she's lucky, she will have her contents and buildings with the SAME people - in which case you just tell them that it is covered by their company whatever it's classed as and it's their job to pay out without involving you in internal department squabbles - END OF STORY!
HtH RM

Of course this isn't the case. It is accidental damage.
It will ONLY be covered by either insurance if you have paid extra for accidental damage.
tim

tim wrote:

Also the cost of the usual acrylic bath probably wouldn't hit the excess on the policy....
However, when a relative broke a toilet pan in horrid mink colour of ours I was able to replace the whole suite with what the ins coy gave me. The only hassle was "obtaining" a vat receipt for the max they would pay :-)

Depending on how deep the *pitting* is, you may be able to get away with rubbing it down with wet & dry then buffing with T-Cut or Brasso and finally wax polishing the area. This should also remove the bleaching effect as the Acrylic sheet used when forming the bath 'shell' is coloured all the way through.
Brad.

finally
the
What ever you do, don't tile the bath in for a lot of months to see if discolouration comes back. That way it will be less hassle to replace if it does. A lot of student accommodation have discoloured patches in the bath, but then those landlords don't exactly care what it looks like. I just remember one that had a big creamy mingy patch that was scratchy on your bum.
Insurance will only pay out if you have accidental cover - it doesn't come as standard. It was one of our main requirements due to hubby's Laurel and Hardy style of DIY/ living. (Sorry hubby)
Am thinking of "spilling" some paint on the hall stairs and landing carpet - it's circa 1970 (yes really) and is stitched together. It seems to have some horse hair effort as underfelt - hilarious. But the big gold swirly patterns really matches my bargain gold 1 a roll/ 18 rolls from a B&Q sale which is actually quite pleasant. As the rugrats are rapidly un-installing everything in the house I'll give it a year before I replace. Sorry to wander totally OT, but does anybody know any big carpet suppliers that do 70's style carpet?
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:48:19 -0000, "Suz"

During your student days you lived in a toffee-nosed area then? "Student" and "bath" come across as a contradiction in terms ;)
PoP

remember
Girls students and boy students are different. Girls students will wash. Usually trying to hover in the middle of a bath and not touch any side. Oh I don't mind being a grown up any more when I think of that.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:14:52 -0000, "Suz"

The mind boggles.
Must admit when I was very young (about 8) we went to lodge with an old lady. Her bathroom had one of those quaint old fashioned iron baths in it with legs on etc. I refused to have a bath all the time we lodged there - used to have the bath at my nan and grandpas.
PoP

Is that fond memories then ?
--
geoff

Nah - though I do remember having to make a single pair of loons (I think that was what they were called - casual trousers with bell bottoms, all the rage in the early 70's) last an entire year. We were not a very well off family and those loons certainly looked a bit scruffy towards the end!
PoP

Be aware that some insurance companies are now using lie detectors. Admiral report that a quarter of stolen car claims are withdrawn when challenged after being analysed. HBOS uses the same technology for house insurance claims.

What sort of "lie detectors"? I thought even ones with an operator and a live 'victim' had been shown to be useless, I can't imagine how a remote one would work (if this is remote).

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I shouldn't think it would have to be perfect. I would expect that they only use it to select cases to investigate in greater depth. It would be under further (manual) scrutiny that they may uncover the fraud.
On this basis, its performance only has to be "better than chance".
RM
On 30 Oct 2003 12:58:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I imagine it's of the entirely made up type to allow the bod to go "Our lie detector machine suggests you're lieing are you sure you want to make a claim, making fraudalent claims is punishable by XYZ..."
Jim.
     snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes:

They measure stress in the voice. They've been around for a while, but UK companies seem to have recently cottened on, and they do seem to be seriously reducing insurance claims, so I suppose all our premiums will be going down, no?
They are always demonstrated by playing a recording of Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Initially I did wonder if in fact that was the only phrase they recognised ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

Well as far as I know such things have been comprehensively debunked in the USA.

On 30 Oct 2003 13:53:23 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Of course, somebody that is in the middle of dealing with a real incident that leads to an insurance claim could be stressed by that though, rather than because they are lying about a fictitious incident.

carpet -

Don't forget though that the majority of claims are actually processed over the phone. Legitimate claims are usually easy to prove - theft/criminal damage - police reference, accidental damage - produce the damaged item. These checks are usually only there to wittle out those who are trying it on (oh, I dropped my new digital camera and it broke - can I have another - oh, I can't show you that its broken....). For those which appear to be borderline, I'm sure they can, if they want, get someone to come and check, or provide a photo of the broken item or something.
I fully support these sorts of methods on the conditions it doesn't stop valid claims, and it helps keep premiums down.