Paint combination

I have to paint a square foot of wood outdoors, what I have in stock is : Acrylic undercoat and an exterior gloss (doesnt mention acrylic) Is it ok to use these 2 paints together? Or should I have a non acrylic undercoat to go with the gloss?

Reply to
ss

I've certainly used acrylic primer, followed by non acrylic undercoat and gloss.

So at least it seems oil based pain adheres well to acrylic.

Try a test paint?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its ok IME

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the art world oils can go over acrylics not the other way round,but in the case of house paint you can usually use either ucoat under either topcoat.

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks guys I will give it a go, if it fails its only a small piece to redo.

Reply to
ss

Of (say) about a square foot in area?

Seriously, though it will be ok - and they won't react badly with each other.

*However*, in my experience, the paint on external woodwork is more durable if you use oil-based (rather than quick drying water based) undercoat, and then external grade gloss.
Reply to
Roger Mills

+1 as long as the primer is 100% dry before you apply the gloss. A couple of hours is normally enough
Reply to
stuart noble