PA Testing

I've never re-employed a PAT tester who _didn't_ do it. The few times I have to pay for this (I have my own meter, but sometimes I need traceable paperwork) are on workshop equipment. By _far_ the most likely fault is a cable pulling out of the strain relief on a plug.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's a bit like one of those posts correcting someones' grammer or there spelling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It may be cheaper for them, in the long run, to get specific people for specific jobs, rather than one size fits all.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Tannoy is not so much an "older term", simply a brand name. It's like using 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner or 'biro' for ballpoint pen.

Reply to
charles

Indeed. But it came about because Tannoy was the main player in the UK - remember the speakers with Tannoy in fretwork as the grill? These days they are a Chinese company making 'Hi-Fi' stuff only, as far as I know.

Hoover is still used - but biro? Most just say pen these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, pet hate. Normally referred to as PAT Testing - which actually mean Portable Appliance Testing Testing IYSWIM.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not sure the figures add up TBH.

Assuming I did a course @ £300, I'd lose 2 days takings - at least £300, then bought a £400 tester - I'm down a grand.

Thats a lot of tests @ £1 a pop.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your mind would go numb. I was close to doing it, and took/passed the course. Then I went to a job interview and was put off. They were paying

50p per item tested, and expecting speed, accurate serial number records and no mistakes. I didn't fancy the idea of accidently frying meself trying to achieve management expectations, and attempting for bonuses by basically conning people.

I'm now getting spammed by companies trying to sell me the testing gear :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

That's what happens when you are self employed.

That's why I do not PAT test. And you can get get it done for 75 pence per item if you have a lot of items to test.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Take five or six tests on average for a furnished property, that's either a couple of hundred properties or four a week to get your grand back in a year. Or a couple of dozen B&B places or small hotels with two or three tests per room, testing once a year.

Would it be as little as a pound a pop, though?

Reply to
John Williamson

I've been told that the best way to test a PA is to take her out for dinner.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The question you should be asking yourself is "Do I NEED to take a course?"

If you know the subject well enough already - or most of it - can you not read up on the bits you don't already know and refresh the stuff you do, then just take the test?

Years ago, we were considering testing the feasibility of using micro- wave (~10GHz) comms links and an easy way to do it would be for two of us to pass the Radio Amateurs Examination (run by the C&G).

I looked through some sample papers, brushed up on the regs and booked an exam. (Evening) Passed (with a distinction or something like that). Simple! All it cost was the examination fee.

Then them in charge had a change of heart and we dropped the idea ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

(theres a testing and test management exam) when I done the course for Work I used a place in Tring. Done the course and 2 exams in a day. Was easy for me but then I did study electronics at uni

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

Working backwards from =A310/hr 50p/item is 20 items or 3 minutes each. Can't see how you can log serial numbers, do the label, do a decent visual inspection, inc fuse/plug and do the test properly in that time.

Just reinforces my view that most PA testing is just a paper exercise to cover peoples arses.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISTR that in the early days the going rate was between £20 and £30 per item.

Indeed. A bit like "risk assessments."

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And how often have you found that it wasn't the live that pulled away first? I always understood that the live should be the shortest lead in a plug, then the neutral and finally the earth lead should be as long as practical so that it was the last to pull free. Having checked quite a few, non moulded, plugs on new equipment it seems that anything goes now.

Reply to
Bill

I have seen it, once, I was most impressed. The guy also *fixed* any obvious loose/frayed connection sort of problems.

Reply to
tinnews

There's no point at all in being an employee PAT tester, just as you describe.

One problem locally is that most PAT testers (and those with the shiniest business cards) are people who a few years back were flogging financial services or herbalife pills. It's a classic business where a grand's investment gets you set up, even if you have no basic understanding of the practicalities of what you're looking for.

The best I've met was a 60 year old bloke who'd been kicked out for early retirement. The worst wouldn't remove plugs to check connections, as it would break her nails.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think you mean 'as much as'.

Seen it for 60p.