Pa electrical code

Pennsylvania has adopted a new state code this year. Not being a licensed electrician in the state of Pa, Am I permitted to do the wiring of my newly constructed home so long as I comply with all inspections? I am employed as an industrial electrician, Therefore I do not need to be licensed at my job. If anything, what would I need to do, to do my own home wiring. Again, new construction.

Reply to
Beeper

Only your local building official can answer that question. I don't mind people doing the work on their own homes, if they have the skills to do it, and it sounds like you would. Your local official may have different ideas, however.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Word is 2005NEC shouldn't be adopted till june. That is why residental license exams are still using 2002 material.

You have to check with your local jursidiction.

Legally, you need to check with your local authority having jursidiction.

Personally, I wouldn't plan out my home till I fully understood the bare minimum(the NEC) and work up from there to meet my day-to-day living.

hth,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

Wiring must be done to code and if you knew the code you'd know the answer to that question.

Check with your local building official. In many cases you have to pull the permit and of course have the usual inspections. Best to check as there may be some local issues you need to comply with.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, nobody cares what you do to your house. Taking out a permit gets an inspection done and takes away some of the risk. Your insurance company will certainly care about your compliance with rules after a fire or some damage is done!

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Beeper, I am trained usenet answer person. My magic eight balls says, " Perhaps, check back later".

Again, as a trained usenet answer person- buy oven mitts, the kind with a metal facing on the palm. You can't go wrong wiring a house wearing them.

Reply to
tm

Reply to
Beeper

So, if your local codes aren't in effect you need to follow state codes, and I am told PA still adopted 2002, and soon 2005NEC's will be in effect in a few months. So follow the NEC.

NO. Nec can only be made more restrictive.

Oh, sure they will take your money, but I really have concerns if they will ever pay if it's work done by yourself, on your own house.

Good luck,and btw, if you have this many questions about codes, I wouldn't do residential work. Get some training at your local votech, so you better understand the codes.

imho,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

Reply to
Beeper

The answer to your question can only be obtained locally. Call the code enforcement office and ask them. Some jurisdictions will issue electrical permits to homeowners and some will not. Of those that do some require the homeowner to take a test. Unless someone answers up from your own community the answers you will get here are useless.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne

Ah yes it does. Look in Article 100 and definition for "Qualified Person".

Once again, Pa is a local jursidiction licensing state. If you have no local licensing requirements, then you should have no license requirements, from the government. I would how ever contact your insurance carrier and find out their requirements.

Having my work inspected, I've never been asked for proof of insurance by the inspector. From the home owner, now that's a different story. ;)

Typically insurance is for protecting the customer, since you are the customer, in this case, seems redundent to have to carry it.

Best thing for you to do, is get professional residential training. Vo-tech teachers aren't really in it for the money, so buying a local guy lunch will usually result in answering all your questions. Sure you can ask here, but many of your answers are related to your locality. But remember, as a bare minimim, use and comply with the NEC, reguardless what you get in replies here.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom