Otish Pesticides

After 26 November 2015, even old gits won't be able to buy concentrated pesticides/herbicides. Eg Roundup. Might be the time now to stock up. Beat the rush nearer the date.

Bloody EUSSR again I 'spect.

Reply to
harryagain

Yeah, I read about that elsewhere, seems a bit unnecessary to cancel rights that will die out as the people born before the relevant date themselves do. The whole point of "grandfather rights" being to not take rights away from anyone, but to avoid granting them to anyone else.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's a thread on this in uk.rec.gardening.

This is from

"A current exemption in UK law, commonly known as ?grandfather rights?, allows anyone born before 31 December 1964, to use plant protection products (PPPs ) authorised for professional use on their own or their employer?s land, without having to hold a certificate (of competence)although they should still be suitably trained and competent for their job. The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012 allows this exemption to continue until 26 November 2015, after which everyone who uses PPPs authorised for professional use must have a certificate.

In addition, after 26 November 2015, it will be an offence for anyone to purchase PPPs authorised for professional use unless they have ensured that the intended end user has a certificate."

I read that to mean that only those products licensed for professional use are affected (i.e. the more aggressive chemicals, possibly with health hazards for humans), and that stuff for amateur use will still be available in the usual outlets, possibly provided that a member of staff is trained to advise on their use, and this only if the outlet is above a certain size in terms of staff employed or turnover.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , harryagain writes

This is aimed at users of crop protection products likely to end up in the food chain.

This is my last year of legal spraying. I can still purchase product for use by others who have met the training requirements.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Addendum:-)

Regular independent testing of crop spray equipment will become mandatory. Currently this is only required for members of the various crop accreditation schemes.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What problem is all this bollocks intended to solve?

(And is it true that one will not be able to buy concentrated glyphosate any more? The last time I bought some, no-one asked me how old I was or what it was for. Mind you, I got a bit carried away and now have enough to last me the rest of my life.)

Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

Precautionary only.

There has been a voluntary scheme for training sprayer operators in place for some time. This simply makes it illegal to operate spray equipment without the required certification. (Even knapsacks!)

I have not heard anything about extending this to *garden use* sprays or equipment.

Makes some sense when you think that a ready to harvest wheat crop could be sprayed with a hormone weedkiller when the operator was meant to use Roundup. Ignoring the dilution between farm and end use, this could end up in your McVities Hob nobs:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Unemployment in the corridors of bureaucracy.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

More pointless bureaucratic c*ck, then.

Reply to