Tracing a pong (or: are AAV's reliable?)

Every now and again there's a "drains" smell in the shower room that we haven't been able to track down. The room has an AAV on a secondary stack that's fed by a loo, shower, bidet and basin. All the traps are OK, and the AAV valve seems to move freely, so all I can think of is that every now and again the Durgo is lifting when there's a gust of wind (stop sniggering at the back, I meant a gust of wind outside the house). Is this a known problem? Is it reasonable to add a small amount of weight to the valve? Any other suggestions?

Reply to
<no_spam

Lifting?

You don't mean the whole unit coming out of the pipe?

Because AAVs allow air INTO the pipe, not out of.

The exception is if the AAV is old and the rubber has perished or some obstruction os stopping it sealing. In which case, replace.

Do you have any washing machine stand pipes or perhaps a shower that has been unused for a long while as the trap may have dried out (happened once where I use to work). Add water was the cure....

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

No help to the OP, I know, but we have a similar situation in that this house used to be B&B, with four bedrooms, each with en suite facilities. There are three of us, using two bedrooms, so I have to fill U bends and flush otherwise unused toilets fairly regularly. It is surprising how quickly the water evaporates, and how much of a pong that creates.

Reply to
News

+1 Jonathan
Reply to