Bathroom and bog boxing in...

If anyone remembers the mental anguish I was having trying to work out how to box the bog pipes in, well, here ya go:

things, some in answer to previous wibblings:

Yes, grout between the tile tops and the ceiling works fine.

Yes, plastic (or metal) edging is cool for external corners (but you could manage without). In spite of that, no edging strips for where tiles stop and paint starts is also OK - I rain the paint line down over the (concave, smeared in with a finger) grout on top. Leaving the paint line back a bit exposing more grout would be even nicer, but I don;t have a steady enough hand to cut in paint "in mid air" (OK, masking tape is an option).

And I ignore John R (sorry) and built my box boxing out of 18mm WBP! So far, my quality inspector (lad) has failed to break it...

Things that look weird in the photo but are actually OK in real life: the bog boxing panel is stepped to allow various critical clearances. I used silicone instead of grout along the tiles joins that were over the joins in the plywood. Ply join is screwed from both sides and EVA'd with a 40mm overlap. All screws that are under tiles are stainless. Tile glue is flexible for wood and grout has an additive for same reason. All grout lines double sprayed with LTP Grout protector spray - wonderful smell :)

Bog goes in tomorrow after running silicone around that panel. Then plumbing (chrome for the visible bits - oh much joy in bending and having to get it right first time!).

Cheers

tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nice job. except you left the basin waste exposed!

I am fairly proud of the fact that in three of the four bathrooms, no pipes are visible at all, apart from a short feed pipe to the cistern the chrome downpipe to the loo and a bit of waste the loo couples to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

will try l8r

cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

How do you manage with only four bathrooms?

Reply to
stuart noble

Jim K wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 08:22

Apache fell over for some reason I'll look at later (laptop disk nearly dead, stuttering like crazy, waiting for a replacement from DABS today)...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 02:08

Cheers :)

There is still the option to pop a cupboard under the basin (I chose a basin with a flat level base rim with that in mind).

But, it actually looks OK - the clean white uPVC blends into the white tile background OK. I don't mind pipes on show, as long as they are neat - indeed all the rads will have surface drops with no boxing. Probably polish the copper too :)

The only annoying thing I did was to mount the drop double-bend in the basin waste (the pair of 90 deg bends right up close to the boxing) a little too close to the boxing. As in touching the tiles (talk about interference fit).

I can ease the connection out of the boss by a couple of mm but ideally I would have had those a cm or so back.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

No pipes visible whatsoever in my bathroom. Wall-hung bog with cistern built in behind, basin set in a tile worktop (made out of a really huge tile so no grout lines in it to get manky) and shower built into a false wall too.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I though the AAV had to be above the highest flood level of the appliances emptying into it, your basin is above it isn't it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You just have to use the garden if they are all occupied.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

not so.

the basin will fill the bog if the outflow is blocked.

So you can use the lowest appliance as a guide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yep. Sad but true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Burns wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 16:29

Normally yes. But not that particular model of Floplast - it meets some additional standard and the instructions say >=200mm above the highest connection to the stack, ie the socket where the bog connects. The diagrams confirm this is what they mean.

Also, if the drains blocked, then the highest flood line possible is the bog rim, one way or another - and it is above that line.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 20:00

Here you go:

"Product is A1 approved in accordance with BS EN 12380 - it can be installed below the flood level of connected applicances."

Tim Watts

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 22:50

Yeah - I found that randomly whilst looking for AAVs. I thought initially I'd have to have a taller stack and more complicated boxing, so I was extremely pleased to discover that. Cheap enough too, bought on the Internet (cheaper than buying a non BS EN-xxx from B&Q).

Turns out it is well needed in that location [1] as throwing a few test buckets of water down the bog did cause some significant slurping of the AAV.

[1] I didn't bother with AAVs on the kitchen and bath runs that go 4-6m as in practise:

a) They all go to a "private" grey water only 110mm branch;

b) That branch is 3m away from a chamber outside that also has the main vent to atmosphere connected directly in;

c) The main waste pipes are 50mm so even on full flow (eg 3 connected sinks and appliances discharging simultaneously) the pipe only ever half fills so there remains a continuous air void over the water at all times, hence suction is near impossible.

I had to test the system and observe it through rodding caps to verify that, so don;t take this as a general rule of thumb - it works specifically in my setup and might well not work somewhere else.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've got a smallish bathroom (can touch all four walls standing in the centre of the room) with a vertical vent stack boxed into a corner that prevents any layout apart from the current one.

To allow re-arrangement, I'd like to shrink the vent stack down to the minimum allowable size (3" ?) and conceal it in a partition wall. For a few quids worth of AAV, thinking about belt and braces to be sure traps don't get emptied - there's already the odd occasion where the loo looses a couple of inches when there's *not* been a lot of wind to explain it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

can HepVOs help in these cases? E.g. our cloaks has a bog and basin on their own branch of foul drain

- no AAV, no sub stack, just straight in with the bog waste and a strap-on connector to join the waste pipe from the basin - HepVO on the basin waste allows air in as needed by a bog flush.....

Cheers Jim K

PS nice tiling Tim - could the basin waste have gone the other way to the bath?

Reply to
Jim K