OT : what kind of modem do I need to get an iPad/iPhone to work?

My sister lives in Oz and my mother is poorly ATM, and so it seems like a g= ood way for them to keep in touch. Currently, we have a basic TalkTalk bro= adband account, and we access the net using a desktop PC with a wired modem= /router. I understand that iPad/iPhones use wireless wi-fi, but that's all= I know.

Do I just need to get any wireless modem (is this the same as a personal wi=

-fi hotspot?), and then just simply use our existing TalkTalk broadband pac= kage for the iPad/iPhone "data usage". Thanks a lot for any comments.

Reply to
cdr

way for them to keep in touch. Currently, we have a basic TalkTalk broadband account, and we access the net using a desktop PC with a wired modem/router. I understand that iPad/iPhones use wireless wi-fi, but that's all I know.

hotspot?), and then just simply use our existing TalkTalk broadband package for the iPad/iPhone "data usage". Thanks a lot for any comments.

There are three basic ways ...

Either replace your wired ADSL router with a wireless one (the replacement will still accept wired ethernet connections for your existing PCs)

Or leave the router alone and install a standalone Wireless Access Point, this will connect to your existing ADSL router via an ethernet cable (assuming you have a spare port)

If you live in a "normal" sized house, the position of the wireless router will be largely irrelevant, if you live in a mansion, the flexibility of poitioning the WiFi access point remote from where the ADSL router happens to be might matter (but then you've got to run a long ethernet cable to it, or use the data over mains wiring devices).

Another alternative is to simply use a 3G or GPRS data bundle from whichever network the iPhone is connected to and ignore your home network, then the same system will work wherever you can find mobile coverage, not just at home.

Reply to
Andy Burns

a good way for them to keep in touch. =A0Currently, we have a basic TalkTa= lk broadband account, and we access the net using a desktop PC with a wired= modem/router. =A0I understand that iPad/iPhones use wireless wi-fi, but th= at's all I know.

l wi-fi hotspot?), and then just simply use our existing TalkTalk broadband= package for the iPad/iPhone "data usage". =A0Thanks a lot for any comments= .

This is the simplest way -

Replace your current router with a wireless one. TalkTalk will provide one for =A330-40. (If you know what you are doing you can buy one cheaper / get a better one and set it up yourself).

Reply to
JMB

Thanks very much, for both replies so far. Having thought about all the op= tions, I do like the standalone wireless access point solution the best. T= his means that I can forget all about my current wired modem/router (which = works OK), and simply plug in this new gadget. Hopefully, it will be fairl= y straight forward to get the iPod to connect to it OK...

Reply to
cdr

that I can forget all about my current wired modem/router (which works OK), and simply plug in this new gadget.

TP-Link TL-WA701ND seem cheap enough from Amazon

Should be, you might have to jump through an initial hoop to give the access point an address that doesn't clash with your existing router, from there I'd expect it to come pre-configured for WPA2 (though you ought to set your own encryption key, and SSID name) after that your Wireless devices should see it, ask for the encryption key and connect, getting an address allocated from your existing router.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A freind of mine staying for a few days and knowing my layout did exactly this. Brought a WAP with him, installed it in his bedroom and was able too use his macbook and I-phone without changing a single thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

good way for them to keep in touch. =A0Currently, we have a basic TalkTalk= broadband account, and we access the net using a desktop PC with a wired m= odem/router. =A0I understand that iPad/iPhones use wireless wi-fi, but that= 's all I know.

wi-fi hotspot?), and then just simply use our existing TalkTalk broadband p= ackage for the iPad/iPhone "data usage". =A0Thanks a lot for any comments.

If you're outwith the minimum contract time with TalkTalk, threatening to switch to another provider may persuade them to upgrade your modem.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre