OT: What digital cameras do you guys use ..

Compact digitals at their simplest will have "program" shooting only. I.e. you get to choose where the lens is pointing anf when to press the shutter release and that is about your lot. Some will give you alternate programs that bias the results toward either smaller appature for greater depth of field, or faster shutter for better sharpness of moving subjects. A few give you partial or even full manual control (i.e. the shutter or aperture priority of old, with a few bells and whistles). To be fair though I have full manual control on my old SLR and hardly ever use it, since it moving flashing LEDs up and down never "feels" the same as it did with the old alnalogue camera metering systems where you adjusted things until a needle crossed a circle! ;-)

The main thing you loose is several f stops. So you get less light gathering capability that with a bigger lens. So you may find that with an adaption lens on you only get f5 at the widest setting. That can curtail your options in poor light. The smaller lens will probobly not resove the fine detail you could expect from a bigger SLR lens, and you don't get the option of fitting a prime lens (i.e. all compatcs will have some form of zoom lens) on the occations where the extra definition or better light capturing capability matters. (A film based SLR Nikon will often have a 50mm lens that opens up to f1.2 which is seriously bright and fast)

(Brother in Law is the editor!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, ok ..

Like the 1,000 functions on our washing machines or mobile phones .. ;-(

Hey, flashing lights, where can I get one! ;-) (and that other description sound like cross hairs and a different kind of shooting)? ;-)

Understood ..

Gotcha, thanks ;-)

Name dropper ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

He seems to be; especially as he paid less for that than I had done for mine! ;-)

*Very* expensive. They don't make it anymore and the A200 replacement isn't quite as good in one or two areas (even if it's better in others). Essentially it's priceless!
Reply to
John Cartmell

I use a Nokia 6230i for diy related stuff. The lens is poor but the resolution (1.3MP) is adequate for snapshots. Connectivity facilities are quite good.

The major advantage is that I always have it with me.

For photographs, rather than snapshots, I use film- I have a slide scanner if I want to digitise/print anything.

FWIW, I understand Nokia are now the world's biggest camera manufacturer....

Cheers, W.

Reply to
W.Warburton

I agree, and have just bought a nice lens for the 350d on ebay - 2nd hand but you wouldn't know it. I won't deny that you have to be careful though.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Adaptors are available for most dSLRs most SLR lenses - Try Ebay or a firm called SRB. I saw an ad for a nikon dSLR @ £500 - probably warehouse express online.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

That was what finally decided me on the dSLR after some disappointing whitewater kayaking shots.

Reply to
Chris Hodges