OT: What digital cameras do you guys use ..

.. for photographing your diy work of course (<< that should even keep the nice Crispy Bacon happy .. maybe not [1]) and I know you guys (n gals) are into everything .. so ... ;-)
Long / short, I might be looking for a 'reasonable' digital camera for my Daughter (not a swap .. mind you! ... <evil grin>), for general real 'photography' use and to support the BTEC 3D design course that she should start next year.
A mate has leant us his old (as in 'spare') Sony Cybershot DSC-F707 and that has both a nice lens + some fancy features (that she might use as an 'artist') but he want's a bit too much for it. She likes it though and after taking pictures of the runner beans I planted yesterday has produced a mockup front cover for "Beans Monthly" magazine, featuring:
"- 10 simple steps to keep your beans at their best"
"- To hose or not to hose. How to maintain your plants during a water crisis"
"- Wise words, Fred (< my mate, a gardener) gives us his top tips on planting and photography" ....
Cover design by Jenny .. www.beansmonthly.co.uk etc
LOL .. how come she can do this sorta stuff so quickly and not her homework .. ? ;-(
Anyroadup, the local shop suggests a Fuji S5600 as an affordable (just) stepping stone to possibly a dSLR sometime?
We have had Fuji cameras (so have 128/256M xD cards we can use) since Noah was a boy and have had very good service from Fuji C/S and repair dept. Her current camera (a Fuji F420) is a great little tool (compact, well built, 5M pixel etc) but just *eats* it's two AAA's in no time (I might try rigging an external battery pack sometime but that's another topic) ;-)
So, anyone support / know the Fuji S5600 (or that series) for the above use and / or can suggest anything in that price range (~200) that might fit the bill better etc please?
All the best ..
T i m
[1] And I have posted to rec.photo.digital already ;-)
T i m wrote:

I've got a canon ixus 55 compact, and a canon 350d dSLR. In general I find the canons to be more intuitive and quicker to start up than fujis, though most olympuses I've seen have been pretty good (used to have a camedia but I've forgotten the model).
My wife's old fuji didn't get on with NiMH rechargeables, but the one in work does, and there may be a mains adaptor available for indoor use.
Have you consider going for a 2nd hand dSLR (eg canon 300d)?
Chris
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Ok, thanks ...

Another thing going for the DSC-F707 is the battery life, but against it the (expensive and for this model restricted capacity) memory stick (especially as we have some biggish xD cards already)?

Well, I had, but 'second hand' and 'camera' aren't words I am normally comfortable with in the same sentence. This Sony has come from a known source and we could play with it before buying so that's no quite so risky. Buying a second hand camera off the net (eg eBay) could end in tears. It could also be perfectly fine, the problem is I don't have the money to gamble with.
I'd even go as far as to be willing to pay say 20 quid (on a 180 camera) more to buy it new in my local camera shop (rather than order it new over the net), knowing that my purchase would be 'safe' for a year at least and I could just walk back into the shop with it if I had problems.
My Dad was talking about disposing of his entire studio, anyone getting any of that would have stuff that you couldn't tell had ever been used so I know it can work .. (not that not using stuff can be good for it either ..) ;-(
If someone was willing to offer me something suitable on a 'try-before-you-buy' sorta deal (and at the right price etc) I would consider it though .. ;-)
All the best .. and thanks Chris ..
T i m
T i m wrote:

I've got about 5 grand of Nikon SLR kit, of which only 3 lenses and one body are in fact 'first owned' - you SHOULD consider second hand definitely...

Hmmm .. ok ... ;-)
That gave me an idea though .. Dad's had (has) some decent stuff (I remember when I was young he sold his 'Baby Rolle' and with the money bought a small cabin cruiser (new) ;-)
I wonder if I could get a s/u digital body to go with his lenses (or has it all moved on mount wise now)?
All the best ..
T i m
T i m wrote:

Possibly. I hacve held back from 'going digital' because the cost of a compatible body for my old Nikon manual lenses is about 700 squids S/H, and what I would get would be a brick like object that weighs about 6 times as much as my titanium bodied FE2's..
Easer to take film and get the negs digitised..

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The other difficulty is even though you can in some cases keep the existing lenses, they end up all being different (i.e. longer) effective focal lengths because the image area of the CMOS sensor is smaller than that of 35mm film.
--
Cheers,

John.

Ouch .. ;-(

Hmm ..

Less you want the results there and then etc .. (something the younger folk take for granted). Having said that my daughter bought a disposable camera the other day (even though she has 35mm and digital compacts) and waited the week to have them developed. I don't suppose they will ever get looked at much nor scanned / emailed like her digital ones do?
All the best ..
T i m
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adaptors are available for most dSLRs <-> most SLR lenses - Try Ebay or a firm called SRB. I saw an ad for a nikon dSLR @ 500 - probably warehouse express online.
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I agree, and have just bought a nice lens for the 350d on ebay - 2nd hand but you wouldn't know it. I won't deny that you have to be careful though.
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

I have the earlier version and find it excellent*. Its 4xAA batteries last for days (and days) of fairly intensive shooting - though I don't use the screen for taking photographs.
*used for personal snaps, magazine work, wildlife photography, studio 'product display' work.
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:44:04 +0100, John Cartmell

Ok, good news then. Tho I have fallen for 'this is the same as the last model' and it's completely different (and a lemon) ? ;-( (not suggesting this is the case here John).

Especially good news. Both the life span and the AA thing (I have them in everything and by the bucket load) :-)

I think that is the killer on her little F420. Not sure if you can disable the screen and just stick with the optical viewfinder (I think the LCD reverts to 'on' on each power up). And being a 'viewfinder' rather than duplicate image on a tiny eyepiece mounted LCD, you are never sure how the framing went till you turn the LCD on to .. doh!

Yup, probably a similar role I see (hope) it being put to with my daughter.
Question then John, if you were to 'upgrade', is there anything on yer wish list ..?
All the best ..
T i m

My son-in-law has the S5600 and I think it's very similar to mine.

I have a couple of sets of rechargeables and carry a set of non-rechargeables with me. I've only once had to change batteries during a 'shoot' - and I certainly don't remember to put in a new/recharged set every day!

I have mine set for eyepiece for taking photos and screen for displaying shots.

My daughter's Konica Minolta A2. ;-)
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:13:09 +0100, John Cartmell

And he's happy with it as far as you know John?

That was pretty well the setup I took when we went to the Zoo a while back. Except the spare rechargeables seemed to have been cr*p (in spite of coming off the auto charger that morning) and the souvenir shop AAA's didn't even wake it up? ;-(

I hindsight that seems like a plan ..

Hmm, and not *that* expensive for an object of desire ;-)
All the best ..
T i m

He seems to be; especially as he paid less for that than I had done for mine! ;-)

*Very* expensive. They don't make it anymore and the A200 replacement isn't quite as good in one or two areas (even if it's better in others). Essentially it's priceless!
T i m wrote:

Not making any recommendations per se, other than if I was buying one now I reckon my overriding concern would be for absolutely minimum lag on the shutter release button. I can't begin to count the number of immaculately framed, perfectly lit shots I have taken, but with crappy content because the subject was long gone by the time the picture was taken...
David
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:15:06 GMT, Lobster

Ok, thanks for that .. not sure if this helps .. <shrug, looks reasonable to me ..>. Also not sure how much 'action' work she's likely to do but it's good to have something fast in any case ..
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

LOL. I know what you mean .. frustrating eh! Yeah, now you mention it, that must be why all my pictures are crappy! ;-)
All the best and thanks David ..
T i m

That's why I changed my Sony DSC-P50 to a Fuji S620 Pro. Both fantastic camera, but the fuji is quicker.
Lobster wrote:

That was what finally decided me on the dSLR after some disappointing whitewater kayaking shots.
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

<snip>
I've got a Canon Ixus 50 which I like.
The main thing for me was its size - dead easy to slip into your jeans or shirt pocket. My old Cybershot was too bulky and I hardly used it as it had to be 'carried' around.
Has a 3x optical zoom and the Macro is good for close up work. Has a decent LCD screen and an optical viewfinder.
Comes with a rechargable battery that gives a fair amount of usage between charges.
Controls are easy to use but there are plenty of options and settings if you're into that sort of thing.
Expansys are doing them for around 170.
-- ETV