[OT] What a fat lump of bloatedness

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that is.

Just done a clean install on VMWare Player for testing, and it's just had

8.1GB of disk (that's actual consumption on a sparse disk file). Fresh install, not even patched it yet. No apps.

The linux host it runs on (my laptop) only had 6.6GB in use for the OS and that is rammed solid with apps.

I was genuinely surprised - what the hell is it wasting all that space on?

So glad my day job is 99% linux...

Reply to
Tim Watts

John Williamson

Generally its the space reserved for the OTHER OS you need to install in the virtual machine...

#du -s ./.VirtualBox/

22586228 ./.VirtualBox/

22 gigs of WinDoze installation...plus a few CD images of client support crapola

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

God almighty - half way through the patching and it's jumped to 17GB!

Which is a bit of a PITA as I want to clone this several times...

Hmm - tempted to try XP.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bloody hell, luxury. Just put it on a Mac partition - 22GB, no apps.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

What are you testing? Some programs that work under XP don't work under Windows 7. I've yet to meet any that work under 7 and not under XP, though.

The increase in image size while patching is due to the way that Windows update keeps an uncompressed backup copy of the previous file versions. These can safely be removed once you are up to date, giving you a much smaller image, with the only gotcha being that you can no longer uninstall patches.

Reply to
John Williamson

TurboFloorPlan. You are right - supports XP. I'm actually waiting for the next version due out anytime soon - but it will be based of CadSoft's Envisioneer and the just released new version still supports XP.

I thought I'd just turned of the system protection and file backups thingy - but perhaps it does not affect the patching process???

XP installing - virtual disk currently at 1.1GB

Strewth - what a difference. God knows what Windows 8 will be like.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have a number of VMs:

W8 - 12 GB Ubuntu - 3.8 GB Android - 520 MB

Reply to
polygonum

Huh, mine's just over a gig - that's win2k though, and about the only thing I use it for is the occasional use of PSP (once so far this year, I think) as using Gimp under the native Linux install for anything other than basic image manipulation is like pulling teeth :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

It doesn't. Look in the %windir% directory, you'll see loads of $NtUninstallKBnnnnnnn$ type directories. Those are the patch roll-back files.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Possible explanation here:

way to look at it is that, on a 1TB drive (not untypical these days) the difference is negligible.

Reply to
Reentrant

Jesus H Christ.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly I've worked with MS stuff most of my life :( I remember my sense of despair, when I installed XP on a machine with 4GB memory, and discovering it still insisted on using a swapfile.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It keeps all the "undo" capability to back out each patch...

You can prune that once patched.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not so long ago I was uing Win98, 200M install, bit more with the 3rd party patches.

We're lucky today, you can take your pick. Linux comes in everything from floppy sized images to multigig versions deigned to waste your hardware performance with wiggling icons and endless other crap (eg Mint 13). It one reason I like multiboot.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed. Since my hardware vendor hadn't got anything to sell; less than

80GB disk space is somewhat irrelevant, and totally dwarfed by the number of movies you want to store, anyway.

I really don't care as long as it doesn't cost.

This machine is about 5 years old now, still on the same linux release wit the same crappy XP in a VM for the three windows programs.

It does what I want. End of story.

Sticking windows on it would have increased the price by 30%. As it is the total machine was less than £230 ex of the screen which I had already.

I think its been good value...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only program I know of which won't run under XP and needs Vista or 7 is er.... Internet Explorer 9 !

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Finally! 4.1GB!

Win XP Pro WinDirStat[2] (pretty 'du') to locate and deleted s**te [1] UltraDefrag[2] to pack the disk down sdelete -z to zero unused space VMWare defrag and shrink to reclaim space (sparsify backing file aka "thinning")

[1] Set Internet Options to cache only 100MB and delete IE cache; Disable System Restore points; Delete \Windows\SoftwareDistribion\Download\ after patching Delete \Windows\System32\$..crap$\ directorys Oh - and turn of the pagefile. [2] Both free tools avialble on SourceForce
Reply to
Tim Watts

No - better... 2.4GB per VM after shutting down the VM and doing a

cp -rv --sparse=always VM VM.clean rm -rf VM cp -rv --sparse=always VM.clean VM

Guess VMWare ccompact did not do a thorough job!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Battlefield Bad Company 3

Reply to