[OT] What a fat lump of bloatedness

JDiskReport is really good.

Reply to
Huge

Does it run faster with the unused space zeroed (more streamlined) :-?

Well done btw, slightly different but I still install XP on new systems and shall now quote your experience when people ask me why.

Reply to
fred

The zeroing is only so VMWare can use a "thin" disk file (ie it is as big as the contents, not as big as the virtual size of the disk - and grows as it needs - same theory as unix sparse files). So I can have many clones without taking up half my hard disk.

However the defragging probably helps the speed.

It was very painful.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:05:57 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wr= ote:

A bit more than that will buy a very good Eizo IPS monitor from PCBuyIt and= other places (1920x1280 off the top of my head). Good display, ok not 30" = but at least good enough for a lot of work.

I remember Quattro Pro for DOS & WP5.1 for DOS, on a 386DX they were fast a= s no continual windows billion-file overhead or insane bloat. Pity MSFT del= iberately stuffed Quattro Pro for Windows as Excel was a clumsy poor clone = of "lotus-1-2-3" at the time.

One reason why so many businesses are still on 98SE, never mind XP, and I w= ill not use anything later than XP because there is Linux. Simple as that, = MSFT are far too expensive to be considered - the difference between a rubb= ish 19" monitor and a very good Eizo monitor. XP is reasonably stable, but = I expect MSFT to undermine it (and I think they already are re "fixes").

Reply to
js.b1

Driveable from the video output of a 5 year old machine? Or is that the point where you find you need a new graphics card - which then means you need a new motherboard to plug it into, which then means you need a new PSU, memory and CPU...

I hate PCs. Sadly I hate Macs just as much! :-)

I used to use WP5.1 - it was perfectly acceptable for what I needed a word processor for. Today I've got libreoffice, which does exactly the same job, but needs vastly faster hardware to run. And it takes me just the same length of time to generate the final result, so it's not as though productivity has increased...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I am running 1680 x 1050 on an 'ex demo' screen that cost a bit over a ton.

I'd like a bit more vertical, but not at any price.

Me 2

Friend of mine still bemoans its passing.

Today I've got libreoffice, which does exactly the

Exactly.

Frankly I can write formatted HTML text in a text editor just as fast : Libre office only scores when I want to insert pictures and charts and WYSIWYG is then a tad faster than typing in the formats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Useful tip, thanks. I'd wondered what sparse files were - the cp man page is at best uninformative, so your post prompted me to ask Mr Google.

Isn't the third cp unnecessary though? You've already created the sparse file, you just need to rename it with mv to its original filename.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I like that a lot. You can drill down and get more information than WinDirStat. Also runs bloody fast. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You're welcome. And you might not care about this, but it's properly cross-platform, too. I've run exactly the same image on Solaris, Linux & Windows XP.

Reply to
Huge

A long thread, but some good bits in it:

how to nLite XP Pro down to its skeleton!

Reply to
PeterC

In article , Huge writes

Oh, I do. Just come in the office and about to fetch and run it on my desktop PC which runs Linux.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Enjoy.

Reply to
Huge

Impressed at its speed.

Not impressed by the size of the winsxs folder. 8.4 GB. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

The 3rd one is just to generate a new working copy - the clean is never booted again, just used to make clones.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good tip - I stopped looking, because when I was on one of my many installs, I accidently googled for UltimateDefrag instead of UltraDefrage and, though the result looked Kosher, it infected IE instantly!

Bloody windows...

Anyway, the result is a nice solid small copy of XP.

Sadly, on my laptop, being with Intel 965 graphics, I cannot get 3D support through to a VMWare guest - but despite that, GoogleEarth is usable (not fast, but OK) and TurboFloorPlan does not yet seem to be suffering - apart from 3D being mediocre - but again usable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm happy doing

du -smc * | sort -n

on everything else - it's just a faff on Windows - partly because I really hate cmd.exe as a terminal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting read - thanks!

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's why I install Cygwin on any Windows box I have to use.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Huge writes

Very nice. A keeper. Ta.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Tim Watts writes

Had a go at this. Using VirtualBox, though that also uses .vdi files. Windows guest on Linux host.

First attempt at the above command with no defrag in Windows - sparse file same size as original.

Ran UltraDefrag - defrag cycle followed by optimisation cycle

Downloaded and ran SDelete from Microsoft Technet and ran sdelete -z c: to zero out free blocks

ran VBoxManage modifyhd --compact NewHardDisk0.vdi - this reduced the .vdi file from 20Gb to 14GB. This is a 20.7GB NTFS drive C: which is

14GB used, so that seems right.

I'm guessing that VBoxManage modifyhd --compact does more or less the same thing as your cp -rv --sparse above.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson