lump under carpet

Hello,

We've had a new carpet fitted but there's a bit of a bulge. The fitter says it's one of the floorboards which is curved. It happens to be the one with the CH pipes beneath it, so I don't know if the heat has warped it? Anyhow, he said to perhaps plane it or sand it. I'm not sure what to do because I think it is an imperial size 5/8 inch or

16mm. I'm worried if I plane it much thinner that it might become too thin and too weak. Would it be safer to buy a new board?

What's the minimum safe thickness of a floorboard? Is there a reason that new boards seem to be 18mm rather than 5/8 inch?

Anyone know where I can get a second hand thicknesser? ;)

Reply to
Fred

Have you checked the hamster's cage?

Reply to
Phil L

I think you'll find it's the budgie's cage that's empty...

In a pub I used to frequent, a mole got under the carpet in the lounge bar. Amazing speed - this lump rushing every which way and only seeming to get stopped by furniture and gripper rod. Eventually someone got it out into a bucket. Vicious beast.

Reply to
Rod

Always pick up just behind the head. The sharp bits don't reach there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it worth putting a sheet of hardboard under to smooth it out instead?

Reply to
Fred

I put hardboard down (under vinyl) in a bedroom and it is possible to see some board outlines after a number of years so not a 100% solution.

Geo

Reply to
Geo