OT Water splitting

Came across this, interesting.

harryagain

We did this at school in the 60's???

Reply to
Bob Minchin

So did we. And I did a project on water joining too...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager scribbled

My school was rubbish, we never did turn water into wine.

Only the other way round.

Reply to
Jonno

Yes, I went home and setup some electrolysis using a car battery which produced hydrogen at a fast enough rate to generate a small continuous flame. I never got any oxygen off, as I couldn't afford expensive enough electrodes which didn't instantly react with the oxygen ions produced. I had a plan to fill a balloon with the hydrogen and oxygen mixture liberated, and to release it to float up with a length of string attached to act as a fuse so it went bang at some height, but lack of oxygen meant I never got as far as trying it (although it would have worked without the bang even with just hydrogen).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes not very efficient though is it. The problem with the oxygen electrode getting polluted by Oxides is rather annoying. Eventually you have to replace the electrode. Still I did try making batteries out of lemons once. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I imagine graphite would have been OK for the electrodes, such as the central positive electrode stripped out from traditional zinc-carbon batteries.

IIRC there used to be (~1950's or 1960's?) a little hand-held electrolysis cell available for micro-welding that burnt an oxy-hydrogen flame. Looked a bit like two Sparklets soda-syphon CO2 ampoules fixed together and of about that size, with a burner tube coming off. Don't know the power supply; car battery? Never had one; always wanted one! Probably discontinued due to too many people having their hands blown off.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Car battery was the power supply, not the electrolysis cell.

I rather suspect the oxygen ions will react with it, giving you carbon dioxide. That's the problem with most metals - you get the oxides produced rather than liberating oxygen, unless you go for platinum or gold or something else expensive.

Mine was in a jam jar with a small hole in the lid, which you could light to get a flame. The hydrogen electrode was a tall screening can from an intermediate frequency transformer screening cover, and I suspect I used lots of copper wire closely spaced inside it for the oxygen electrode (which just produces copper oxide, and salts as a result of reacting with the salts added to make the water more conducting).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Water electrolysis oxy-hydrogen micro-welders are still sold for the jewellery trade, although they are probably a bit more expensive than the one you remember. The one I had in my business used MEK as a flame modifier, which presumably was to avoid explosions.

Reply to
Nightjar

Apparently not. See

although I've read elsewhere that carbon electrodes do eventually deteriorate and crumble, but probably OK for short demos and home experiments.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I used to use a bench-based equivalent for welding thermocouple junctions (early 70's). Ran off a 13A socket but not sure what power it drew. I think it used standard hypodermic needles as the nozzle.

Reply to
newshound