Wheel cleaner.

Been cleaning the ol' Rover for a show tomorrow. And decided to do the wheels properly too. They are lattice alloys (BBS) and a nightmare to clean - especially the fronts that get coated with brake dust.

There's a product called Wonder Wheels which does speed things up - but costs a lot. Any household cleaner that would be as good for a sensible price?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Goodle for " MSDS". That often reveals what's really in these products.

Reply to
Caecilius

Pressure washer? (But be careful with the tyres).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote in news:ctgun6FldstU1 @mid.individual.net:

Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner. Not keen on pressure washers.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No room for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Phosphoric acid is the active IIRC...

Didn't they make 'discs' to fit behind wheels to try and keep brake dust off??

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yep, and yet no manufacturer seems to fit them. Funny that, unless of course it's a bad idea.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They cause brake cooling problems.

The best wheel cleaner I've ever used was some VW branded stuff with phosphoric acid in it. Gawd knows why I had it - I've never owned a VAG car.

Reply to
Huge

/Yep, and yet no manufacturer seems to fit them. Funny that, unless of course it's a bad idea. /q

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Think the active ingredient is phosphoric acid. WW costs something like 8 quid for a half litre. Wondered if there was a household product of a similar spec but cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you're right on that, a decent non-acid one I've used is Turtle Wax Ice, but I think they're re-formulated it so it no longer contains sodium mercaptoacetate, I think Sonax "full effect" and Iron-X still do, spray on, wait for it to change to pink/purple, wash off ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

old battery acid works fine. brush it on carefully to avoid splashes it lifts the old disc and brake pad dust off.cant remember if it works on oil though.you might want to degrease first

steve

Reply to
steve.n

Or just buy some phosphoric acid (and presumably dilute it?).

Ebay is probably the easiest source

Reply to
Chris French

/Think the active ingredient is phosphoric acid. /q

No shit Sherlock....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Or use Coca Cola (C), it allegedly cleans chrome and contains phosphoric acid. I've not tried it personally.

Reply to
The Other John

At 172mg of phosphorus per litre you might need to boil it down ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I heard these old wifes tales many years ago, being me,I put a penny and a sixpence in coca cola and also lemonade and other soft drinks and they all came out the same, no difference with the coke.

Reply to
F Murtz