OT - Virus troubles (Mydoom)

Wollongong.... FTP Software..... I wonder what ever happened to them....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yepo. All those. Also TGV and Fusion.

The lads from FTP software...mm. They are doing someting still. Can't remember waht. Try

The Natural Philosopher

TGV I remember, but not Fusion. IIRC, Cisco bought TGV and it disappeared.

I believe that the Israeli company, Netmanage, bought them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ta - that's what I was going to say :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

It was Ultrix, which as you say is a 4.x BSD variant.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Well, the VAX ran vanilla 4.xBSD too. I used a VAX-11/780 running BSD

4.0/4.1/4.2 etc, direct from Berkeley. A lot cheaper than buying Ultrix from DEC (that came later, anyway).
Reply to
Bob Eager

This is not necessarily true: worms can be written with multiple payloads and platform detection code. In fact, the Morris Jr worm wot we're reminiscing about did exactly that: it worked against sendmail implementations regardless of instruction architecture (as its exploit was at the Sendmail application level - switching on Debug mode to elevate privilege, and then assuming it could talk Bourne shell), but also had specific binary exploits against VAX-running-BSD and Sparc-running-BSD-I-Think - from memory (and since this stuff happened before The Web it's not the work of moments to find the info) it was a fingerd buffer overflow. ISTR that it tried to run the VAX-specific arm under VMS, and got nowhere, as young Robert didn't have one of those to test against when doing his pure intellectual curiosity exercise ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba