OT - Virus troubles (Mydoom)

Page 3 of 3
Martin Bosticky wrote:

They are already successful in so doing. They are not targetig teh PC market, they are targeting the NT server market.
As Linux becomes popular drivers will be provided by hardware manufactureres who want their hardware to be bought. Its that simple.
The real problem is that the desktop apps don't exist.

Martin Bosticky wrote:

Now I'm no soap-box linux advocate - but that statement is just crazy. Have you actually tried installing a linux distro that's come out in the last couple of years? I can't remember the last time I had a driver issue with any stanard device.
--
Grunff

There are several orders of magnitude difference between the virus problems with various MS Windows (and associated applications, such as Outlook), and those of any other OS. A long culture of 'gee whizz' feature bloat with no consideration to the security implications has been rife for years, which is why poor windows users suffer endemic virus problems, and/or have to buy and frequently update add-on products to plug loads (but never all) of the security holes the vendor designed in or crept in through security incompitence.
I'm pleased to say I can totally ignore the problem by not using MS Windows (at least, not on any system with access to the internet).
--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Heh heh. Trouble is the time needed to download them if you don't have some blocking system. I've got a spam filter which deletes at the server, but keeping it up to date is a PITA. So I additionally have a file size limit set on the mail fetcher - it will stop at over 30k, and ask if I want to delete or just download the header etc. If I'm not in attendance it just leaves any mail above the limit on the server until next time.
--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Sparks wrote:

readers should note that posting URLS like the above is often ised to propagte viruses.
Go to McAfee or other site, never to an unsolicted URL on Usenet.
This is one of several offial virus notification sites
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k 873

emails, I

rounds
FYI that tinyURL address goes to http://www.grisoft.com/virbase/virbase.php?qvirus_name=Mydoom&action=search&lng=us&type=web
(Which will wrap, hence the reason for using tinyURL!)
Sparks...

What most people do is post both the full and tiny addy then people can see where the tiny url is pointing if they need to use it
--
geoff