OT tv speakers

If you mean using both internal and external speakers at the same time, and adjusting only the volume of the internal ones, that would probably work - but the mute button would only mute the internal speakers, and the external ones would carry on.

No! The audio out is a low level signal from a high (several K-ohm) impedance source, and needs to go into an amplifier. To drive passive speakers you need to be able to deliver much higher currents from a very low (a few ohms) impedance source.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hotel tellies usually have special settings to restrict the volume anyway, so you can't turn it up loud enough for the occupants of the next room to not hear you shaggin.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They could but are likely poor value compared to passive types.

10 watts will drive most speakers to a more than adequate level for ordinary TV listening. And pretty well any half decent speakers at say 80-100 quid will knock spots off the internal ones.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, so the audio out is independent of the tv remote? It's beginning to sound like I need speakers and another remote. God help us :-)

Right, that's that sorted. Thanks.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

My hi fi is some distance away, so that wouldn't work for me, but I wonder if the headphone output is the same volume as the audio out. If so, I could just use multi media speakers and leave the things switched on. Remote controlled amplified speakers don't seem to be generally available, and it looks like it's cheaper to buy a mini hi fi system.

I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious solution to the tinny audio problem

Reply to
Stuart Noble

hedahpones npora,,ly dribve via 100W resiotors to protect yiour sheel likes

Open up the set, and disconnect the internal speakers and wire to your own favourites, grab the input electrolytic and feel the power of Jesus..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More tonic and less gin I think :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening. Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective level requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my impression is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver only milliwatts, and require an external amp of some sort.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Just tried a pair of powered PC speakers on the TV. Output is 2 'jacks', red and black; speaker input is the same but the other end of the lead is just a small jack for a PC, so I couldn't connect that. Shoved the small jack in to the TV's headphone outlet, turned on both (with the speaker volume down to zero, wound up the volume and it worked. Bit weak at first, so set speakers to max. bass and min. treble and the result was marginally better than the TV. Took the speakers off as it wasn't worth the clutter for the result.

Next: see if I can wire the TV to the amp. and then to the KEFs :-)

Reply to
PeterC

I haven't got the tv yet but nothing in the spec tells me what sort of line output it has.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Suggests that the output on the headphone socket is only sufficient for headphones. If it was the same strength as audio out I suppose it might wreck your phones or your ear drums.

Yes, I'm thinking of moving the hi-fi over to the tv. Either that or pick up a 28" Sony CRT on EBay for a tenner! I really can't see what I'd gain in terms of space or quality by changing to lcd.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Well yes, I knew that it would be far less than for the speakers but more than that for powered speakers, which is why I started with the volume on

  1. Didn't want to wreck the TV or my ears!

My 24", 3 yo, Philips CRT has better[1] sound than a brand new Toshiba 32" panel - and more choices for it. It's just Last Night etc. where a bit of oomph would be nice.

[1] less bad
Reply to
PeterC

Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden clues in the spec.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.

Many thanks

Reply to
Stuart Noble

They used AM sound. The sound IF was at 30odd megs and was wide bandwidth, and did not restrict the audio bandwdth. AM radios have an IF of about 0.45 MHz, and just that difference will reduce bandwidth on MF radio (as compared to 405 TV sound by a factor of about 75.

Reply to
<me9

(phono) plugs - which usually means an un-amplified line output.

In the URL which you quote, there is an option to download an operating manual. The spec on P57 of that explicitly says 0.5v RMS (High impedance). This means - as I suspected - that this output will *not* drive passive speakers without an intermediate amplifier.

FWIW, the same audio output signals are also carried on the appropriate pins of the SCART plugs - should you want the connect them to anything which has SCART at the other end.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In practice most sets did. When BBC 2 started with FM sound it added an extra octave or so at the top end via the average receiver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, Roger. Much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the surround sound world! How practical would it be to get a cheap ASDA set, ditch the 5 small speakers, and use the amp/sub woofer/remote control with a couple of 16 watt mini hi-fi speakers I have lying around? They do a 40 watt and a 70 watt system and I'm guessing either would be enough. As I'll only be sitting 2 metres from the tv, I really don't need home theatre stuff.

Reply to
Stuart Noble