OT - Train Fares

IOW it's more subsidised than here. Of course, subsidies just hide the true cost of something, they don't alter it. And the frogs have all those cheap nuclear volts, too, although if recent posts are anything to go by, they don't have enough.

Percisely why HS2 is just willy-waving.

Reply to
Tim Streater

AIUI, it was never intended to. Labour provided the usual carrot and stick - take this £95M or so towards the guided bus, and we might consider improving the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon. [1]

[1] Which for those unfamiliar with it is a death-trap road to be avoided at all costs.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Their hand-out, you mean. I'm not sure Cambridgeshire CC would have been interested if it hadn't been for the Labour Govt threat/bribe.

That's been true for 20 years. AIUI, doing something with that section of the A14 was in the Tories' road building programme that Blair/Brown axed when they got in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Smithy Fen?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I recently tried to get into the station at Cambridge when a rush hour train from London had just arrived. I gave up and waited for the crowd to pass - was quite impressed how many they were shifting.

Reply to
Clive George

If you run a car anyway I don't think it's valid to use the whole of the running costs in this comparison.

Some journeys may be cheaper by train but many are not. A friend of mine finds it's cheapest to fly to Scotland.

Reply to
Mark

If you use a train regularly, quoting a single full price journey isn't valid either. As you'd have some form of discount card.

To give a direct comparison between train and car using full price fares you'd need to include the cost of hiring a car - not just the fuel.

My niece and family who live in the south of England but have relations in the north of Scotland have given up on internal air flights completely. Check in times and delays/cancellations have caught them out once too often. And they live pretty close to Luton.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if you're not going to hire a car. Similarly you'd only include a rail discount card if you had one.

If you were trying to calculate whether it was cheaper to travel by train and get rid of the car completely then you would need to factor in all the costs.

Reply to
Mark

In message , Tim Streater writes

I wasn't around here to be bothered then, but the most recent pretty advanced plans for a new bit of road on the Huntingdon > Cambridge stretch were dumped by the current government

Reply to
chris French

In message , tony sayer writes

We don't use it often, because we live rather too far from any of the stops to make it worth it really. But have been on it a few times (use it like a rather more distant park and ride) and it was pretty good.

As for the A14, well the only thing that is going to improve it is a new bit of road on that section - and looks like we will be waiting another

20 years now for that.
Reply to
chris French

There are still running costs other than petrol on a car even although you already own it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really want the marginal cost of the extra mileage, which may be a bit more than the petrol (extra servicing, increased depreciation) but probably isn't that significant for most cars at the current cost of fuel. If you were prevented from using a limited mileage policy on the car because of the extra miles, that might be significant, but the only people I've come across with those are insuring classic cars, so have other things to factor in as well... The one other significant cost I'd reckon is the parking - that will depend on your particular requirements, but it's a very significant factor in my choice to use a car or train to get to London - even though it's over 100 miles round trip the parking can cost more than the fuel.

--

Reply to
docholliday

And with London, there may be the congestion charge - not insignificant again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

So £1.08 each or 2 for a quid makes sense? Who to? Bear in mind that they're still making a profit. If they can flog'em for 50p one week they can do it anytime. Ripoff Britain again.

Reply to
brass monkey

Yep

I have to make weekly trip from Kent to Cambridge.

Cost on the train - 25 quid return

By car it's probably 30 quid of fuel before all the other costs (like 1.50 each way over the bridge).

If the place that I worked was somewhere sensible and not in the middle of flipping nowhere I wouldn't even consider driving each week

tim

Reply to
tim....

The supermarket is but they'll be charging back the "discount" to the supplier squeezing their margins even harder. Don't think that all the BOGOF, 2 for ..., etc are funded by the supermarket because they aren't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Insignificant compared to the parking costs. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The supermarket is but they'll be charging back the "discount" to the supplier squeezing their margins even harder. Don't think that all the BOGOF, 2 for ..., etc are funded by the supermarket because they aren't.

Well, AFAIC that's the suppliers problem, myself as an end user, like what I believe to be a bargain. Strolling around various supermarkets is an eye-opener. "Youngs" fish (something or other), anything between £2 & £4 for exactly the same thing. I usually 'expect' a 100% mark-up so someone is making £3 per packet. If it's £4 I tell the freezer "you can keep it, pal" :D Then you notice what some shoppers do. Remember Oz in Auf? Throwing dozens of cans of lager into the trolley? It looks like that in our local ASDA. They don't look at the price or even care, in the truck it goes, but there's no money about, right? LOL Hey, they have so much stuff in the truck they need boards around it to avoid overspill.

Aggravated of West Mids ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Depends where you park. I pay £2.00 per hour in West Smithfield, or £7.50 all day at weekends in the Barbican. Not uber-central, but...

Reply to
Bob Eager

But then you would have the car for getting home on the return and getting to the station in the first place. If you lived in the country waiting for a bus to the station and back from it would guzzle what remained of your day.

And you still need to work out transport from the destination.

If it doesn't work for the USA, the rail network in the UK, where distances between cities is minute, is a no-brainer.

There are only two stops on the train to Holly Head after office hours. That's two stops on both trains. Or were. It's probably a one stop affair these days -if the trains aren't afraid to go out in the dark.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer