OT: Thouhts on A bedroom with no window

A kitchen with no window?

Horrors!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Maybe you should check with the council regarding regs as they are very funny about loft conversions with no independent fire escape. If they wont allow loft conversions with no second escape I don't see why they should allow a bedroom with no second escape. Given that I wouldn't touch such a property with a barge pole.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Hmmn, got an attribution for that? I must mention it to my chums in non ground floor tenement flats, no alternate exits & no separate fire escapes.

Reply to
fred

They would have been built under regulations then in force. Indeed, box bedrooms and bed cupboards are typical of some styles of Scottish domestic architecture of some periods. However if you are partitioning off a corridor, or subdividing a room, to make a new room, that has to comply with current regulations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Gotcha in that respect, I just though some of the house dwellers were forgetting that flats and particularly flats above the ground floor even exist, the 'every room must have an alternate exit' was a classic, it's just not feasible, necessary or required.

Reply to
fred

In some cases flats do have to have alternative exits, it's dependent on the number of flats per floor and per stair, and whether the individual flats have lobbies inside the front door (ie two doors between common close and internal hall) etc.

In some cases a second stair has to be provided with fire escape doors from individual flats, in others a 'break-through' panel is provided between adjacent flats. It is not only means of escape that is the issue, but means of access for firefighting and rescue.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thinks - do firefighters have inverted ladders for accessing basement flats?

I think the sun's got to me ... must stay in more.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Of course.