OT The Olympic Games

You could become a pickpocket.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes and whilst some people at school were 'inspired' to run round in circles or kick a ball at each other, I was inspired to build that rowing boat I wanted (as I didn't want any book-ends or a bathroom cabinet). ;-)

It's not that I was unfit or was against exercise (I used to walk the whippets with my Dad for miles and miles, or canoe, cycle [1] or row 'miles' as well), it's just that I didn't see the point in wasting good construction time, doing those sorts of things (and those things especially) simply 'because'.

Now, if you tell us it's important that mankind can project a small ball into a small hole over a few hundred yards just using a stick ... or kick a ball, into a net then I'll have to take your word for it. Personally, my inspiration and heroes come from those who create things like wheels or aeroplanes, not someone who just happens to be able to run fast and who just happens to want to do something with it?

FWIW, I was quite good at the discus and high jump but saw little point at having to do either and even if I was champion material with either I would have had (have) little interest at taking it further.

When we joined a local Archery club, they saw the opportunity in all three of us to compete for them. We had no interest in competition nor all the rigmarole that surrounded it. It would have taken the fun out of something we only wanted to do 'for fun'.

Cheers, T i m.

[1] The last holiday the Wife and I had was touring on the tandem and towing a trailer full of our camping gear. We hope to get back to that soon as / when her second replacement knee sorts itself out. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

You should take up gliding.

Reply to
harryagain

Does my name really have to be part of your sig? I could end up falling out with the population of Worksop and getting my head kicked in.

It was bad enough when I fell out with the Welsh and they then started talking to me.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I bet you say that to all of your apprentices.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That's the trouble - the notion of just doing it for fun seems to pass them by. Too far up their own arses, ISTM.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Possibly so but I'd say it is a poor model. You'll be saying next how those who need such inspiration should be modelling themselves on footer players or rock stars. How about engineers, scientists, and inventors instead?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , John Rumm writes

5 golds in 5 consecutive games.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Of course. But only people who have been to Worksop will understand it:)

It didn't seem to be "that" bad.

I've been to plenty worse places (in England)

Reply to
tim.....

No problem. Most people like some acknowledgment when they are quoted but look: there it is, gone.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Southerners don't have money. We have property instead :(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It's a credit for your copyright :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I would go along with that as well.

yes and that... (+coke)

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite likely - and heaven help anyone who doesn't understand written and spoken English at a fluent standard. The signs are user hostile.

OK. They are bright shocking pink but they are not language independent!

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's complete and utter bollocks. The bypass had been on the cards for years.

OTOH people in Osmington are well pleased. Perhaps this is just testament to the reputation of Wimborne as home of the whingers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Couldn't agree more! An ego trip for the likes of Blair, to add to his 'legacy'. God knows how he managed to wrestle it away from Paris. By rights, the French should be lumbered with it rather than us!

Oh, and don't forget the other bit of Blair's legacy - the Iraq war! There is, of course, a direct connection between the two. It's no coincidence that on the very day we 'won' the Olympics, London was subjected to terror attacks prompted by our foreign policy - driving a coach and horses through the security budget on which our bid had been based.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Trust me. It was not on the same day.

When it was announced that London had won the Olympics I was in the back of a police car and under arrest.

The next day I cancelled a job in London due to the bombings.

You are a day out with the two events.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In the interest of accuracy, I have to correct this! The announcement was made at noon on the 6th July; I was in London at the time and about to travel by Underground to, as it happens, Baker Street.

The first attack was the day after, on the 7th.

Reply to
Bob Eager

RC or real?

I have done some RC gliders and planes (and quite a bit of control line / combat wings before that) but realised I'm not really into the whole plane thing.

(If RC models ...) I think I need to enjoy the model, be it boat or car and you are generally within reasonable visible range of both, even when racing.

Watching a spec in the sky and wondering which way up it is, isn't really as involving as I need from that hobby.

I'm also a 'builder / user'. The building (mostly assembling of course) is very much part of the process, partly because then I know how it goes together and partly to ensure all the right lube / screws are applied etc. Once built, it is then generally used / raced.

I've not assembled may Airfix type models as you can't do much with them (apart from blow them up or shoot them of course). ;-)

The RC Lasers are probably the epitome of that. Wholly simple, nearly indestructible and very competitive as they are all pretty identical. [1]

T i m

[1] I was having a fun sail with about half a dozen other Lasers. One person was having some real problems keeping up and was sort of blaming their boat. I offered to swap boats for one race and to their surprise I beat them with their boat . I have to admit their boat wasn't as 'nice' to sail as mine (because mine was set up 'nicely') but at least they learned there was nothing really wrong with it either. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

In message , polygonum writes

And I'd guess that the contract included some sort of targets for reducing the number of claimants

Reply to
chris French