OT The Olympic Games

In message , Tim Streater writes

No I won't

Although both sons are engineers, I would advise people to go into banking or some such discipline, engineers, scientists and inventors are not respected, treated as strange and poorly paid (except for, of course, those who rise above the noise - the winners )

Reply to
geoff

Most attempts at language independent signs usually ensure that people of all languages fail to understand them equally.

Reply to
John Rumm

Solicitors, veterinary bods and dental 'surgeons' (ha) as I see it. I just wish that I'd known when I left school that the idea was to make money and not just to enjoy yourself. We (well ok, the wife) has 4 (previously 6) shit machines (dogs) which cost us a fortune.

Reply to
brass monkey

Engineering isn't a bad route into banking.

Reply to
Clive George

and Essex... (then again we have quite a number of selective schools to go with it)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, my apologies to Steve - did not mean to slight him! (still even 4 for 4 would still be an amazing achievement)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, so does Kent. I didn't think Essex still had grammar schools, though!

Reply to
Bob Eager

AAMOI London Ambulance have printed up sets of laminated 'flash cards' in 12 languages asking relevant questions about "where is the pain", "breath in, breath out" etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Dorchester to Weymouth relief road was first proposed in 1947. The influence of the arrival of an Olympics event is obvious. You may wish to say that BBC reporting is bollocks but this item will help inform you.

a strange response. These are reports in the press. Have no connection with Wimborne so I am unaware of any reputation linked to the place.

km

Reply to
km

A few more articles that will educate and inform.

A more polite response from you would have been sufficient to make your point. Even though it was inaccurate.

are more

km

Reply to
km

See, I'm not sure what 'achievement ' actually means in this context (and I know it can have more than one meaning even in this context).

Like, did he get his medals (in whatever it was .. 'running'?) for just being 'superhuman' and if so, isn't that just a turn of fate? I mean, couldn't someone else train to be equal to that? If they couldn't that what sort of 'achievement was it? Isn't it possible he just did what no one else happened to bother to do? How many Mr Redgrave+'s might be out there and even if they knew they were better, might prefer to do something else with their time?

Maybe the 'achievement was just getting 5 consecutive medals (so like 'what are the odds of that?). Like climbing to the top of the same mountain 5 times and not getting killed. You just have to try to do it and succeed and you have done it .

And what then of all those people who trained as if not harder than Mr Redgrave and who came nowhere? Are they lesser people than he, simply because they couldn't do what he did because they lacked his 'superhuman' properties?

I designed, built and raced an electrically propelled vehicle and most who competed did so using whatever components they could find / afford. One guy, a certain Cedric Lynch, designed and made his own electric motor that turned out way more efficient than anything you could buy commercially (than most of us could afford especially). So, because he was an order of magnitude 'better' than the rest of us, amongst those of us who were competing in the same event as Cedric, second was our first. ;-)

Cedric was beaten 'once' when I was racing. I wonder if that person should be considered 'superhuman', especially as he only had a stock (ex aircraft role) 24V DC permanent magnet motor?

Cheers, T i m

T i m

And those in countries like Germany where engineering is still regarded as a profession;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

On 23/07/2012 01:03, geoff wrote: ...

When I studied engineering the course included several management orientated courses because they expected a significant majority (80% IIRC) of us to end up running companies.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh good.

Yes they are, and yet these are the people who help make the country rich. And we are short of them. So you are just perpetuating the problem instead of doing something about it. You are encouraging the shortage of those who might allow the country to make rational decisions about population, energy production, balance between manufacturing and the rest of the economy - the list goes on.

Is "winning" or "success" your only criterion then? Like suggesting banking because some of them can make loadsadosh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

When I was a kid the local librarian was talking about flying model planes on a field near us. But then I met some other kids who hung around the field with their air rifles and tried to shoot his models down.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Engineering isn't a bad route into banking.

hasn't worked for me :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You don't want to, its like database design, well paid and boring.

Reply to
dennis

I've always got my kicks at home. All jobs, and especially well paid ones, are boring IME

Reply to
stuart noble

You don't want to, its like database design, well paid and boring.

unlike "un-employment"

badly paid and boring

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Or retirement. Badly paid and boring, but without the guilt of not doing anything, ever again. Time to discover whether the best things in life are free, and whether sitting and staring is all it's cracked up to be. Four years into the experiment I'm inclined to the affirmative.

Reply to
stuart noble